GEN 2 Idaho and Utah guys, some advice please?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Johnson

Reaction score
I will be heading down to Raptor Assault in March and thought I would make a snowboard trip out of it. Can anybody recommend some good ski hills along the way? I will be travelling down the I15 and don’t mind going out of my way a bit if it is worth it.

Rapterzz

Reaction score
http://www.skiutah.com

The places off I-15 in Montana and Idaho are not great in my opinion

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tamarack and Brundage in Idaho are great if there is powder - hit Snowbird for sure - Jackson Hole could be on the way too [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Big. Probably a little bit depends on what you're looking for in terms of terrain, resort, food, etc...and how off your fastest route you want to detour. I'd definitely not miss Snowbird...I'm thinking of a day or two there in mid-April after Raptor Assault myself. And for any others reading this...Snowbird is often good thru May or June. Great mountain for snowboarders.

We are a bit of a detour here in Jackson Hole and #1 for many reasons ;-)...but two good options that wouldn't be quite so out of the way are Big Sky/Moonlight Basin in Montana and Grand Targhee in Wyoming. The 'Ghee is basically the west side of the Tetons from Jackson Hole. Pretty much same snow with a bit mellower vibe.

A few lesser known places I'd consider hitting on the way down just off I-15 with very little detour time:

1) Pebble Creek (just a little east of Pocatello, ID). Opened in 1949 and still a little known secret. Don't expect Whistler/Vail/Jackson...it is Idaho. But I think it's worth checking out. After a day on the mountain head south 10 miles and have a soak at Lava Hot Springs.

2) Powder Mountain (just NE of Ogden, UT / about an hour north of SLC). Over 8,000 acres and they cap daily lift ticket sales at 1,500 to reduce skier density. Definitely a place to check out. Pretty sure backcountry guides and cat skiing are options.

3) Snowbasin. East of Ogden. Another one of the Non-SLC resorts with good terrain.

Pomerelle that has gotten some love above is a good family / beginner area.

---------- Post added at 02:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 AM ----------

If you can hit up Snowbird, Alta, or Brighton.

Alta does not allow snowboarders...so you'll want to cross that off your list. 2nd class citizens. No loss...just a bunch of traversing to get to the goods.

Last edited:

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Amazing snow and very affordable. Great food. Local spot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My daughter's school goes there every year... We chaperone when we can. Equipment rental and lift for $20. I'm not an accomplished skier but I always have a great time, until I wake up the next day. We see moose every time we go there. Near City of Rocks,too.