I may be a possible Raptor owner soon.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blkz06

Reaction score
Hey guys....love the forum!

So I have been on the fence for a few weeks about a 2018 Raptor. My local dealership actually let me drive a black one for 3 days, and I did like the truck in general. Unfortunately for me, I had a big hunting trip coming up and figured I would mull it over for a week or 2. I got back from hunting, and of course the black one is gone. However they have a white one fully equipped due in any day, and that was actually my first choice in color. An added bonus is I'm able to purchase the truck under MSRP.

I'm still on the fence though.

My positives: Love the stance, love the way the truck looks. Interior was roomy and the truck was very solid. Love the fact you don't see many of them around. Power seemed to be pretty good in everyday driving situations. I don't believe the motor has as much torque down low (<2500 RPM) as the V8 trucks I have driven all my life. But in general it did not lack any power once you got the turbos spun up.

That leads me to the negatives: I simply am having a hard time with the 6 cylinder. I don't like the lack of torque down low. I don't like the sound of the V6.
I think its a bit **** to have fake engine sound pumped into the cabin on a muscular truck like a Raptor.
I know many guys have complained about these things. Its not a dealbreaker, but its a big negative for me.

Outside of that, what if Ford does (and yes I know...its like the same chance of Jesus showing up at your front door)...but...what if....they come out with a V8 for the Raptor. Will the V6's take a huge hit in value?

And please..I'm not a troll nor am I starting crap. I honestly am trying to get some opinions on the truck because I have never purchased anything like it.

Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
That leads me to the negatives: I simply am having a hard time with the 6 cylinder. I don't like the lack of torque down low. I don't like the sound of the V6.
I think its a bit **** to have fake engine sound pumped into the cabin on a muscular truck like a Raptor.
I know many guys have complained about these things. Its not a dealbreaker, but its a big negative for me.

Outside of that, what if Ford does (and yes I know...its like the same chance of Jesus showing up at your front door)...but...what if....they come out with a V8 for the Raptor. Will the V6's take a huge hit in value?

And please..I'm not a troll nor am I starting crap. I honestly am trying to get some opinions on the truck because I have never purchased anything like it.

Fake engine sounds along with noise cancellation is becoming ubiquitous. heck, bmw v8’s have it and that car does not need sound augmentation.

I turned the engine noise off via for scan and I think the motor actually sounds better without it. it is what it is; not a V8.

My Kawasaki doesn’t sound as rhythmical as my former Ducati. It also stomps the living $hit out of the Duc in every single way and it’s more reliable so ... meh.

it wouldn’t be cost effective to take the platform from v8 to v6 back to v8, so it’s very likely that v6 platform is here for a while.

many people with the ’17 + Raptor don’t like the anemic throttle response, particularly with the truck in normal mode. Pedal Commander makes that a lot better. Off idle and part throttle response is -significantly- improved.

As to the white vs. black, just remember:

Black Raptors Matter.

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my raptor.

I agree the 6cyl eco-boost does take some getting use to but when you actually use this truck off roading you will be amazed how capable it is and how torquey it is going up the steep stuff!!

CSJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are dyno graphs for the torque curve. I believe below 2k it behaves like a v6 and above 2k it's more like a v9 (well, more than v8).

A Pedal Commander is not going to change the torque curve. However, it will make it seem as the torque comes sooner because slack is taken out of the pedal.

As far as the in cabin engine sound, you can always turn this off will the Forscan mod.

I wouldn't bet on a new model v8 Raptor coming.

An under MSRP quote is a great deal for this truck.

Happy decision making!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I may possibly order pizza for lunch. I need everyone to weigh in on whether I should go through with it.

definitely not. your spare tire is getting a bit overinflated. just sayin':flipthebird:

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
definitely not. your spare tire is getting a bit overinflated. just sayin':flipthebird:

Smurf you are such a ball breaker lol

I find it amusing that someone thinks a Gen 2 which makes 80 ft-lbs more at lower revs feels less torquey down low than the old dinosaur 6.2.

CSJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may possibly order pizza for lunch. I need everyone to weigh in on whether I should go through with it.

There is a graph that shows how many calories are in a pizza. One slice and calories are more than likely below 500, and more than 2 closer to 1000.

Your BMI is not going to change how many calories are in a pizza. However, that along with your exercise pattern will affect how fast you burn those calories.

As far as carbs, you can always mitigate that by just eating the toppings.

I wouldn't bet that a veggie pizza would satisfy your hunger.

However, a BMI under 26 and a pizza is a great deal.

Happy decision making!
:crazy: