I can't sell to you because you are outside my sales region?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arcticsilver

Reaction score
"I can't sell to you because you are outside my sales region."

How true is that statement? I have been contacting dealers outside of California to purchase a Raptor at MSRP and have heard all kinds of things such as we can't sell because of emissions (false?) etc. But this was a new one.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
sounds false to me. ive bought many vehicles from dealers in other states for my whole life. never heard that before.

especially if its CA, i would think that would be easy because you are removing it from that communistic car state. if you were moving one there i would maybe think you might have to do some extra bs.

fx4210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's true you need to order the truck specifically for the CA emission regulation but it can be ordered on any special order.. maybe you were talking to a dealer that had already ordered all of their allocations so they knew those didn't have that option selected.

Kjc

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pure BS... A dealer can sell to anyone they want. They can't be told who and where to sell just like they can't be told what they can sell the vehicle for. That is a excuse to not sell the vehicle, and like said before here a few times all 2018 Raptors have the California emissions.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry but they just don't want to deal with an out of state buyer.

I guess that's their right.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pure BS. I ordered mine out of Texas with the box checked for CA emissions and had it delivered to Oregon. Lazy salesperson or poorly informed.

Dealers don't have to sell to people from out of town. If they are offering a decent price, it makes business sense for to find and take care of a local buyer.

It is comical when I get service coupons in the mail from the dealer I bought my Raptor from, which is 1,500 miles away.

davidl81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I can't sell to you because you are outside my sales region."

How true is that statement? I have been contacting dealers outside of California to purchase a Raptor at MSRP and have heard all kinds of things such as we can't sell because of emissions (false?) etc. But this was a new one.

Dealers do not have sales regions as they can sell to anyone that they want. That dealership most likely wants to keep their sales local for a variety of reasons. They may have had issues in the past with identity theft related to an out of state buyer or some other logistical reason that came back to bite them in the past. If it is a smaller dealer who does not have a big internet department they may just be willing to accept losing out on a few sales here and there not to deal with non local buyers.

Also for what its worth internet buyers tend to be lower margin buyers ie get the best prices on their vehicles since they shop around a lot, do not buy any kind of extended warranty, either pay cash or use their own credit union. All of these factors lower the total amount that the dealer can make on a sale, thus making it even less attractive for a dealer to do an out of state sale.

Not saying that dealers should not sell to non local buyers, its just up to each individual dealership on how they want to handle those transactions.

Hamm3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They just didn't want to deal with the extra paperwork is all.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Dealers don't have to sell to people from out of town. If they are offering a decent price, it makes business sense for to find and take care of a local buyer.

It is comical when I get service coupons in the mail from the dealer I bought my Raptor from, which is 1,500 miles away.

Absolutely. I encountered that several times in my search. I actually respect that a dealer wants to support local customers over out of towners. The difference is the OP asked if they can. Yes, they can but some choose not to.