Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.


Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]

How Necessary is the Torsen From Dif?


This is a discussion on How Necessary is the Torsen From Dif? within the Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!
Originally Posted by xxaarraa I wonder how many of the guys posting in this thread actually understand the science behind ...


User Tag List

Like Tree14Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Full Access Member

 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
I wonder how many of the guys posting in this thread actually understand the science behind what the torsen does and what it doesn't.

Anyway, you are debating a $400 performance option on a $60k+ truck? I believe it is already included with 802?
Since you are bragging about much smarter you are than everyone else, why don't you tell us how it works.




jaz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Full Access Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,930
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
I wonder how many of the guys posting in this thread actually understand the science behind what the torsen does and what it doesn't.

Anyway, you are debating a $400 performance option on a $60k+ truck? I believe it is already included with 802?
Yeah, but it is hard to find on a < 802a truck that isnít customer ordered.
smurfslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
 
Frank N's Avatar
Full Access Member

 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NJ...ugh
Posts: 772
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default
Originally Posted by WhatExit? View Post
Daily driver? Street use?

Not needed.

But the Raptor isn't needed for that either.

You'll still buy it. And it'll cost you a small fortune. So get the Torsen front diff - it'll at least help resale
Heresy! Blasphemy! You want us to roll into Starbucks in a Lariat or worse, an XLT?
SZDZMTR likes this.


__________________
2018 Black Screw
"You fish - then you die - or you don't fish and die anyway - your choice."
Frank N is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
 
Jake17's Avatar
Full Access Member

 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default
Torsen = NO f'n brainer


__________________
J7 801 SCab XD129
Jake17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Full Access Member

 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Age: 39
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default
I wish they made a 2WD Raptor........


__________________
2018 Black SCREW 802A
2015 Nissan GTR FBO E85
murph145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Full Access Member

 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Age: 46
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default
I don't understand the science behind it, but I guess I would rather have it and potentially not need it rather than need it and not have it. So, I am glad my 802A came with it.


__________________
'18 Black Screw "Christine" - 802A, carbon fiber, black beads, husky contour mats, line-x, raptor lights fogs, pedal commander, antennaX 13", rappy vent visor
and hood graphics, bakflip mx4, more to come....
paulny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
 
Sozzy12's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: South Idaho
Age: 35
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default
You know if you don't get it, there will inevitably be that one time you need it...


__________________
2012 Raptor SCREW, tuxedo Black
2013 F-250 SCREW, 6.7 PSD
1966 Mustang GT w/ 306, T-5
1977 International Scout Traveler
Sozzy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
 
Frank N's Avatar
Full Access Member

 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NJ...ugh
Posts: 772
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default
Originally Posted by jaz13 View Post
Since you are bragging about much smarter you are than everyone else, why don't you tell us how it works.



The Torsen differential works just like a conventional differential, but can lock up if a torque imbalance occurs, the maximum ratio of torque imbalance being defined by the Torque Bias Ratio (TBR). When a Torsen has a 3:1 TBR, that means that one side of the differential can handle up to 75% while the other side would have to only handle 25% of applied torque. During acceleration under asymmetric traction conditions, so long as the higher traction side can handle the higher percentage of applied torque, no relative wheelspin will occur. When the traction difference exceeds the TBR, the slower output side of the differential receives the tractive torque of the faster wheel multiplied by the TBR; any extra torque remaining from applied torque contributes to the angular acceleration of the faster output side of the differential.

For those that need the instructor led class. See below.

The DRis likes this.


__________________
2018 Black Screw
"You fish - then you die - or you don't fish and die anyway - your choice."
Frank N is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Full Access Member

 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default
Originally Posted by Frank N View Post


The Torsen differential works just like a conventional differential, but can lock up if a torque imbalance occurs, the maximum ratio of torque imbalance being defined by the Torque Bias Ratio (TBR). When a Torsen has a 3:1 TBR, that means that one side of the differential can handle up to 75% while the other side would have to only handle 25% of applied torque. During acceleration under asymmetric traction conditions, so long as the higher traction side can handle the higher percentage of applied torque, no relative wheelspin will occur. When the traction difference exceeds the TBR, the slower output side of the differential receives the tractive torque of the faster wheel multiplied by the TBR; any extra torque remaining from applied torque contributes to the angular acceleration of the faster output side of the differential.

For those that need the instructor led class. See below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEiSTzK-A2A
And at least according to some people in this forum the Torsen is the source of the crazy levels of torque steer the Raptor has in 4wd. It would be interesting to hear if the non-Torsen models have as much of steering feedback in 4wd.
jaz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
 
SilverBolt's Avatar
Hired Gun

 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Age: 53
Posts: 2,047
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default
As a factory option the Torsen is $500. To add it after the fact will easily cost 3-4 times that amount. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.


__________________
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2018 Raptor Screw 802A White
SilverBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Torsen foo.c Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2] 42 05-07-2017 06:10 PM
Torsen Diff? hubcap Prospective Raptor Owners 17 07-14-2014 05:22 PM
Torsen Hoverp Ford SVT Raptor General Discussions [GEN 1] 14 05-02-2014 03:07 PM
Retrofitting Torsen diff Madcowranch Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum 61 03-29-2012 11:23 AM
Artical on Torsen front Dif DEADEYE Ford Articles, News and Media Reviews 19 03-04-2012 08:49 PM



GM Truck Forum
Chevy Tahoe Forum
Dodge Ram Forum
Chevy Cobalt Forum
Chevy Tahoe Forum
FJ Cruiser Forum
Ford Truck Forum
88-98 GM Truck Forum
73-87 Gm Truck Forum
Ford Expedition Forum
Chevy Equinox Forum
Chevy Cruze Forum
Jeep Liberty Forum
Jeep Forum
Dodge Ram SRT10 Forum
Chrysler 200 Forum
Scion xD Forum
Scion xB Forum
Dodge Challenger Forum
SRT Forum
Nissan Titan Forum
Buick Enclave Forum
Land Rover Forum
Scion FR-S Forum
TRD Forum
Central US Mopars
Southeast Mopars
Cadillac CTS Forum
Oklahoma Dodge Ram Club
Softball Forum