How much additional hp with aftermarket exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wdh777

Reaction score
Adding a Ford performance exhaust which is a borla cat back system. Will this increase the hp much? Borla web site says 5-15% increase but any real life examples here? Thanks

-Ryan-

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing noticeable. Change the exhaust if you want to affect the sound. That's about it. Tune is the only way to go for bumping up horsepower.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nothing noticeable. Change the exhaust if you want to affect the sound. That's about it. Tune is the only way to go for bumping up horsepower.

Ryan has it right. Preposterous claims are made by exhaust manufacturers, and it's all marketing hype. Brighter teeth, clothes that don't wrinkle, pills that will make draft horses envious of your manhood, etc. There's an old saying that fishing lures catch more fishermen than fish. Old sayings endure because they're true.

Hennessey used to make (they probably still do) ridiculous claims about their cold air intake. On another forum I asked to see dyno proof of their claims. Oh boy. First their dyno was down for repair, then they couldn't schedule dyno time for the CAI because of all the other dyno work they had to catch up on, then they stated that they didn't need to prove their claims, and then they had the moderators ban me from the forum. All I wanted was proof of their claims.

"Caveat emptor" - Let the buyer beware.

gijosh28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exhaust and intake make zero hp on a tuned truck.

I feel like this should read, "Exhaust and intake make zero hp on a[n] [un]tuned truck."

A tune will increase your horsepower. You can benefit from the potential gains of increased airflow and exhaust with tuning. I don't think adding a pretty cai, or a catback will do much for you, especially if it is without tuning. Now, increase the size of downpipes, headers with bigger primaries and collector, better breathing cold air intake (big ones with increased CFM, not just pretty painted plastic), bigger exhausts with restrictions like catalytics removed, can definitely increase horsepower if properly tuned for. This is all especially true on forced induction applications. I don't know that this stuff exists in its best form for the Raptor yet. I am just saying, getting the air to the charge side of the turbo, and getting the exhaust into and out of the turbo faster makes for more power... when properly tuned.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like this should read, "Exhaust and intake make zero hp on a[n] [un]tuned truck."

A tune will increase your horsepower. You can benefit from the potential gains of increased airflow and exhaust with tuning. I don't think adding a pretty cai, or a catback will do much for you, especially if it is without tuning. Now, increase the size of downpipes, headers with bigger primaries and collector, better breathing cold air intake (big ones with increased CFM, not just pretty painted plastic), bigger exhausts with restrictions like catalytics removed, can definitely increase horsepower if properly tuned for. This is all especially true on forced induction applications. I don't know that this stuff exists in its best form for the Raptor yet. I am just saying, getting the air to the charge side of the turbo, and getting the exhaust into and out of the turbo faster makes for more power... when properly tuned.

The stock exhaust does not have any restrictions for the amount of air the stock turbos can flow. The downpipes are a diffrent story and aftermarket ones DO make power.

A few shops have claimed changing the intake makes power on a stock truck. The stock intake with the silencers removed can flow more air then the stock turbos and is not a restriction.

Some shops are claiming a small hp increase back to back with stock because larger diameter screws up the airflow scaling in a stock tune and makes it run lean until the fuel trims adjust. Thus making more power for a small period of time on an UNTUNED truck until it adjusts itself. This happens on alot of newer cars and the intake companies love changing pipe diameter to screw with maf and iat calibrations to fool people.

But a tuned stock truck (with intake silencers removed) and a tuned truck with a cai and a catback will make within the dynos margin of error of eachother.

Now downpipes on the other hand make power.

Tl/dr: pull the intake silencers, buy downpipes and get a tune. Leave the rest alone unless you play in the sand. Then get an intercooler.

cao0215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock exhaust does not have any restrictions for the amount of air the stock turbos can flow. The downpipes are a diffrent story and aftermarket ones DO make power.

A few shops have claimed changing the intake makes power on a stock truck. The stock intake with the silencers removed can flow more air then the stock turbos and is not a restriction.

Some shops are claiming a small hp increase back to back with stock because larger diameter screws up the airflow scaling in a stock tune and makes it run lean until the fuel trims adjust. Thus making more power for a small period of time on an UNTUNED truck until it adjusts itself. This happens on alot of newer cars and the intake companies love changing pipe diameter to screw with maf and iat calibrations to fool people.

But a tuned stock truck (with intake silencers removed) and a tuned truck with a cai and a catback will make within the dynos margin of error of eachother.

Now downpipes on the other hand make power.

Tl/dr: pull the intake silencers, buy downpipes and get a tune. Leave the rest alone unless you play in the sand. Then get an intercooler.

So if i m not going play in the sand and i m living with cold, I don’t need an intercooler?