Honest opinions please. Gen 1 or Gen 2? I'm about to buy....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim G.

Reaction score
I have watched this forum a lot ever since the news of the Gen 2 got out..

Here's my situation:
My employer has a Gen 2, and another one coming in shortly, as well as a very nice 48,000 mile Gen 1.

I can take whichever I want to pay for....

I drove the Gen 2 truck for about 500 miles last week. None offload though.
This is a very nice truck. Smooth, great on road handling, looks great.
I had expected much more from the engine, and the 10 speed is a "serious let down" to try to be as nice as possible. The only way to drive it was in Sport mode... "Normal" made the truck feel like it was asleep.... So you need to poke away at buttons before you put it in drive.
The truck has the tech package... Way too much bs on the dash for a truck.... Absolutely terrible in my opinion.

I Have driven his Gen 1 truck a bit, but it has been some time. From what I recall, the Gen 2 has better ergonomics in the cab, but the Gen 1 felt more like a truck (this is good in my opinion). The V8 is a real engine.

So, those that have had the Gen 1 and now have the Gen 2.... Please, give me your honest opinion... and don't just say Gen 2 simply because thats what you own.

As of right now, I'm leaning toward taking the Gen 1 and putting a Roush supercharger on it...and saving myself a ton of money. (Is the Roush supercharger a good move? That may be another topic)

I'm looking to make the decision this week... Please help. Thanks

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like you know what you want. But I don't really agree with any of those complaints. I love the gen 2 in every way and imo it blows the gen 1 away. If you go with a gen 1 and a supercharger I would say get a whipple.

Sent from my 2017 Raptor using Tapatalk

sea2jet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gen 2 is superior in all aspects, but go ahead and buy whatever makes you happy.

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sound like you would be happier in a gen1, so go for it.

Micha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You came in here with a biased opinion. Just buy the gen 1. Otherwise you yourself won't be happy.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Honestly, what exactly do you want help with?
If you want validation to do what you want, you probably posted into the wrong sub-forum. Your feeling or rationalization appears to be that the gen2 is a step backwards. Don’t buy it then, because there are plenty on here waiting for a gen2 that do want it.

consolidated

Reaction score
Sounds like you'd rather not spend the money for a Gen2 and rationalizing the Gen1 as superior, which is natural but also confirmation bias at play.

You should buy the used truck, feel good about the money saved, and when you drive next to a Gen2 soothe yourself with the fact that it doesn't have a "real engine" or it's "not truck enough".

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been driving these trucks on and offroad for just about 7 years and had two gen 1's. One of which was modded beyond anything rational.

Would've given my left nut to have either of those trucks drive the way the gen2 does. Sure, I miss the the ol faithful 6.2 with its decent performance but honestly, it's nothing special. Sounded fast but the new truck is flat out fast. I drive it in sport mode the majority of the time and the toggle to S mode is minor. Trans is smooth and gets straight to business.

I'd buy what you're most comfortable with as they're both incredible trucks.

Edit: I do really miss the old sound but that's about it.

Dr. Hunter

Reaction score
Gen 1s will be harder to find and a new gen 2 can always be ordered. The new technology is what made me switch from gen 1 to 2. If you don't like new technology I can see your point that there's no point in buying technology you would just turn off or not want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTRaptor20