Hill climbs suck when you can't defeat stability control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

poodlemaster

Reaction score
So, I finally got my 17' Raptor to offroad park in Pa, and will say it was a great time except for fairly steep hill climb. The power cuts out continuously with pedal to the floor when bouncing over rocks and bumps, which led to having to actually stop mid hill and reverse back down after my father in law made up easily in his 11 f150 V6. I realized that I was in 4H Normal, so I changed to Mud/Sand. Same thing. Tried again in rock crawl: same thing. Then last ditch effort tried Baja mode: same thing. Traction control off every time. So it seems to be a major flaw of the 17 Raptor that stability control can't be turned off, which is BS for an offroad vehicle. Maybe this is Ford trying to protect the HO 3.5l or the new 10-speed, not sure. Is this defeatable with a tuner? If not, I'm going to need a new offroad vehicle. Not bashing the raptor, it tore up the mud pits all day and was fun as hell on the trails.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That press & hold disables active trac (traction control). What the OP is referring to "Stability Control", (DSC) the other full time nanny.

I can imagine that all of the bashing up and down over trees and rocks is triggering it as designed..to activate at speed over anything larger than a regulation sized Starbucks curb or mall entrance speed hump.

Would be nice to see video, so we can see first hand.

Last edited:

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought holding TC button down for 5 seconds defeated everything?

It does, people just dont read the damn manual. I turn it off all the time and it never cuts power and lets you dig yourself to your frame if you want and do donuts no problem.

edit: Just so everyone is on the same page stability control is AdvanceTrac. AdvanceTrac with Roll Stability Control (RSC) is the actual system and can be completely defeated with the transfer case in 4lo.

yJVptle.png

Last edited:

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, given this is his one and ONLY post plus never returned, I am going to call RAM troll on this cat. I used Mud/Sand and the truck climbed like a fricken mountain goat.

RAM TROLL.

Crikk

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
So the only way to turn off everything completely is to have it in 4 wheel low? Great way to ruin a truck! I have argued with people before over off road mode in our gen 1s. People say that holding the button turns it off. I said no it doesn't the stability control is still on. To turn it off completely and have it stay off you must be in off road mode. I grew to love off road mode with everything OFF.

This arguememt would get old for me because most people don't drive like me. When I want to drift I want to drift at steering lock going 40mph+ and do it back and forth for miles. To do that it must be OFF!!!

If you can't turn it ALL OFF in 2wd on a gen 2 I won't be buying one ever, between that and v6! Not good, breaks my heart because I love the truck. Why did they have to ruin it like that? WHY?????

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So the only way to turn off everything completely is to have it in 4 wheel low? Great way to ruin a truck! I have argued with people before over off road mode in our gen 1s. People say that holding the button turns it off. I said no it doesn't the stability control is still on. To turn it off completely and have it stay off you must be in off road mode. I grew to love off road mode with everything OFF.

This arguememt would get old for me because most people don't drive like me. When I want to drift I want to drift at steering lock going 40mph+ and do it back and forth for miles. To do that it must be OFF!!!

If you can't turn it ALL OFF in 2wd on a gen 2 I won't be buying one ever, between that and v6! Not good, breaks my heart because I love the truck. Why did they have to ruin it like that? WHY?????

post of the day

Bruno74

Reaction score

So has it been confirmed that 4WD Low is the only way to turn off everything? That seems hard to justify....