GEN 2 Help Strange sound and I'm 800 miles south of border

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KentSD

www.BookBaja.com Baja yacht Support
Reaction score
I'm getting a pretty viloent rattling sound during acceleration- seems to be when truck is running at less the 3300rpm while accelerating-

I wish I could post a video of the sound but wifi sucks where I am at.

There is Zero affect on the trucks ability to drive so far- no shaking or loss of power but not something I want to hear while I'm down here.

I have 8500 miles on my truck- ford doesn't have a clue when I called them... I'm in loreto as of now but I'm going to take it to Ford in la Paz tomorrow (if I can make it to cabo I will rather take it to ford there and sit at mango deck while they figure it out)

I thought it was maybe loose skid plates or exhaust etc but everything under truck is tight and under the hood all looks good too...

Never heard sounds like this on any ford or Toyota I have had.

Any feedback would be great or ideas- let me know thanks

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a pretty viloent rattling sound during acceleration- seems to be when truck is running at less the 3300rpm while accelerating-

I wish I could post a video of the sound but wifi sucks where I am at.

There is Zero affect on the trucks ability to drive so far- no shaking or loss of power but not something I want to hear while I'm down here.

I have 8500 miles on my truck- ford doesn't have a clue when I called them... I'm in loreto as of now but I'm going to take it to Ford in la Paz tomorrow (if I can make it to cabo I will rather take it to ford there and sit at mango deck while they figure it out)

I thought it was maybe loose skid plates or exhaust etc but everything under truck is tight and under the hood all looks good too...

Never heard sounds like this on any ford or Toyota I have had.

Any feedback would be great or ideas- let me know thanks
Could be so many things. Hard to diagnose from here but how about checking for wheel weights falling off, driveshaft contact on heat shields, loose bolts for crossmembers, rocks caught in the brakes, fluid leaks, or emergency brake cable coming loose.

Sounds like maybe just doing a really thorough visual inspection may narrow it down some. Only on acceleration and not idling right? What about if you increase RPMs while in park?

Buckle up, I want to try something!

D

Deleted member 12951

Get a gopro and mount underneath to find it.

Sounds like a fun trip, you taking it off-road?

Oh yeah, Mango Deck.
b77e85cd2b6671db7b13a9f15224e214.jpg

47466237ca939cc51cc8ff67141d9044.jpg

5710fdc96cd917fb7e0673c7e2d71826.jpg

OP
OP
KentSD

KentSD

Reaction score
Could be so many things. Hard to diagnose from here but how about checking for wheel weights falling off, driveshaft contact on heat shields, loose bolts for crossmembers, rocks caught in the brakes, fluid leaks, or emergency brake cable coming loose.

Sounds like maybe just doing a really thorough visual inspection may narrow it down some. Only on acceleration and not idling right? What about if you increase RPMs while in park?

Haha buckle up!

Checked drive shaft and tires/brakes- I spent a good few min under the truck checking everything -

I don't wanna jinx my self but im really starting to think it may be the tranny- yesterday I forgot to post this which is an important thing I left out - it was stuck in 7th gear, even when I switched it to Manual it wouldn't come out of 7th until I turned the truck on and off...

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Get a gopro and mount underneath to find it.

Sounds like a fun trip, you taking it off-road?

Oh yeah, Mango Deck.
b77e85cd2b6671db7b13a9f15224e214.jpg

47466237ca939cc51cc8ff67141d9044.jpg

5710fdc96cd917fb7e0673c7e2d71826.jpg

I like the GoPro idea I happen to have a few with me- I'll do that tomorrow- yeah this is it's 3rd trip south since December. Spring break at mango deck is what I'm thinking hello ASU

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha buckle up!

Checked drive shaft and tires/brakes- I spent a good few min under the truck checking everything -

I don't wanna jinx my self but im really starting to think it may be the tranny- yesterday I forgot to post this which is an important thing I left out - it was stuck in 7th gear, even when I switched it to Manual it wouldn't come out of 7th until I turned the truck on and off...
Well that is a bit suspect. It's shifting fine now though? If it only does it in motion rather than in park then it points to the driveline past the motor at least. Glad it doesn't prevent movement and I hope you make it to where you need to be.

That place looks awesome by the way. I would try and make it there too!

RAPTERRIER

Full Access On Your Mom
Reaction score
I got alcohol poisoning on bad Tequila next door to Mango, at The Office. Fell off my chair and could have easily drowned goofing around in the ocean stumbing back to the room. Chips and salsa chunder all over the place. Worst 48 hours of my life. #Mexico...:doublepuke:

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
Haha buckle up!

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

I like the GoPro idea I happen to have a few with me- I'll do that tomorrow- yeah this is it's 3rd trip south since December. Spring break at mango deck is what I'm thinking hello ASU

I know all about them ASU girls [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
KentSD

KentSD

Reaction score
I got alcohol poisoning on bad Tequila next door to Mango, at The Office. Fell off my chair and could have easily drowned goofing around in the ocean stumbing back to the room. Chips and salsa chunder all over the place. Worst 48 hours of my life. #Mexico...:doublepuke:

Sounds like a rookie spring breaker to me

Edith who owns the office is a tough lady and very proud she wouldn't allow them to switch good booze for bad booze in the bottles happen to be with her last weekend in Scorpion bay- but you easily could have had something slipped into your cocktail it's happened to me

RAPTERRIER

Full Access On Your Mom
Reaction score
Sounds like a rookie spring breaker to me

Edith who owns the office is a tough lady and very proud she wouldn't allow them to switch good booze for bad booze in the bottles happen to be with her last weekend in Scorpion bay- but you easily could have had something slipped into your cocktail it's happened to me

Yeah well, I was 35 at the time lol.