Hauling Capacity?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Traditional modern pickups are sprung specifically to be able to drive normally with a full payload. Official load calculations have to offer some reasonable element of safety/stability etc. ;) Desert running throws this concept out of the window. You could still load it up, but it would not be ideal. You will completely squat in the back with a heavy payload on a soft suspension with lots of travel.

I remember back in the day filling the bed of my work F150 over the top with bricks, dirt, concrete, etc. to the point where the truck would literally bounce off of the tires if you hit a bump. It was definitely drivable but the bench seat was on permanent recline and you had to give yourself double, triple the time and space to accelerate and slow down.

OP
OP
R

rehammer81

Reaction score
I'm aware I am jumping the gun referring to the G2 10spd tranny but figured even the 6spd G1 tranny wasn't the limiting factor. I would assume the soft off-road rear squish is still going to limit things in the G2. I'm fine with that because like you any towing I do will be a very small percentage of its use. I also have no desire for anything big. Small off-road pop-up trailer and occasional chore hauling like to the dump. The rest of the time will be play and short commute. Wouldn't mind as much capability as possible however.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
c04224c7bd69deea3e84563964c05091.jpg

It has a higher tow rating than a few of the other SCrews. If you put the 6.2 in a 4x4 XLT with 3.73's you get a tow rating of 11,100 which is only 200 shy of the top tow rating. A 5.0 with 3.55's has a lower rating than the Raptor and putting 3.73's in a 5.0 SCrew only comes in at 9300.

Here's a link to the 2015 tow ratings.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/towing/

I wouldn't expect the new Raptor to tow more than a 4x4 5.0 with 3.73's. Probably more than 2014 but not too much more. An EB 4x4 can tow 11,500 while a 5.0 with 3.73's actually goes down 200 pounds. IIRC there was a switch in the way Ford rates the towing capacity for 2015. I could be wrong..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Supercup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE IIRC there was a switch in the way Ford rates the towing capacity for 2015. I could be wrong..
[/QUOTE]

All the truck Mfg. agreed for 2013 to use the standard SAE tow rating method for putting out standard tow ratings, so you can compare apples to apples between truck. Toyota adopted it in 2011 and continue to use it. Chevy adopted in 2013 only to drop it mid year after Ford did not follow suit. Ford knew they were coming out with an all new F150 did not want to appear to have "lower" tow ratings than competition, so they put adopting SAE off.

To put this in perspective Toyota rates every truck and SUV based on SAE rating since 2011. The Sequoia had a tow rating of 10,000 lbs in 2010, then 8,000 in 2011 - the only change was they went to SAE rating, which requires specific testing while towing a specific load while mainting a minimum speed. So to maintain freeway speed their tow rating dropped by 2,000 lbs under those conditions they had to drop their trailer weight 2,000 lbs. Most others will have similar effect, if the adopt.

All Mfg. agreed to adopt SAE by 2013, then 2015. But still only Toyota has a true rating. The rest of half ton trucks & SUV's (except Toyota) and most of the superduty truck have "marketing" tow ratings, based on the indivisual mfg. actual formula. Until the all adopt the SAE standard, the comparision is hard to make.

Link to SAE Info: J2807: Performance Requirements for Determining Tow-Vehicle Gross Combination Weight Rating and Trailer Weight Rating - SAE International

Link to Article on History: Truck Towing Standard SAE J2807 Update 2013 | RV 101® your education source for RV information

End of the day the 6.2 Raptor is limited in rating due to suspension, not hp, torque or gear set. Same for load limits. But with some custom Deaver rear springs you can handle a load and still have the offroad truck you bought!

The next Raptor wil be lighter, have a bit more power and more gears - all should bode well for towing capacity, subject to supension set up. Again to meet the needs of Offroad you have to give up some suspension attributes needed for towing.

So the Raptor will not be your hauler, but can serve to tow open trailers, mid size boats etc.. and small enclosed trailers and do a fine job.

OP
OP
R

rehammer81

Reaction score
That sounds good. I had read about the Deaver spring replacements. Wondered if that would have any positive effects. I'm not worried about the Rap being a major hauler but would like to be able to make a run to the dump, pick up an appliance, tow a small pop up camper trailer, etc.

Supercup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds good. I had read about the Deaver spring replacements. Wondered if that would have any positive effects. I'm not worried about the Rap being a major hauler but would like to be able to make a run to the dump, pick up an appliance, tow a small pop up camper trailer, etc.

If you get Deaver replacements be sure and call and talk to them before you buy. They will be very helpful - tell them what you will tow, how much tongue weight etc... and they will build you a custom set of springs to meet your needs - same price as the multi pack replacement springs (+2 or +3).

Best of luck

Kowboy17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here is some real world numbers from a trip I just took:
2012 Screw 6.4
35' Travel Trailer ~ 6400 lbs on the scale hooked up. 7050 lbs dry
Stage 2 RPG. 4" Fox bump stomps
Truck weighed 8400 lbs on the scale hooked up. Bed loaded and wife and I. (need to go back and weigh truck alone when bed is filled up again the same…..we are moving again and shouldn't be an issue to do the same pack).
Tongue weight of trailer dry is 840 lbs, add 80 lbs for weight dist hitch plus bed contents past axle ~ maybe another 75 lbs.
TOYO MT's "E" rated and filled to 63 PSI
2500 miles
10.0 avg miles per gallon. 3 1/2 days to cross the county avg'ing 700 miles a day plus
Pulled like a dream in the harshest conditions
* 110 degrees through the desert southwest (tranny temp got up to 210 and then back down). Pulled 6% grade up and down. Used Tow / Haul the entire way and let the engine do it's thing….beautifully.
* 60 mile an hour winds through tornado alley
* raining like a cow $$% on a flat rock in the south
Avg speed (cruise set the entire way) 63 mph

Truck may not be made for towing or hauling, but if need be, set up correctly it is MORE than capable. Proof above.

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
I tow 7K 2-3 per month and have since new 2011, 52K miles. data says 14K trailer miles. I will order a 2017 and tow the same.