Hardwiring a radar detector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting that you say that. I don't see a wire tap as problematic as jamming an ultra thin pin into a Ford factory socket.

These wire taps have been around forever and while I know jamming a pin in a socket of a factory connector works I also know there have been problems getting the pins in there.

There would seem to be potential for issues with the pins affecting the socket and/or the factory wires in there.

I'll consider your statement and the fact that others have used the wiretap pins. Thanks

You make a good point, as you could loosen the pin. Here's a link to a very correct way to splice into a stranded wire: Fundamentals of Automotive Electrical Connections and Connectors

Doing it Tony's way won't cost you anything and will be rock solid. I learned the hard way to not use them. Lost a circuit inside my steering column at a very inopportune moment due to Scotchlock failure...ended up ok but had to redo all of my wiring the right way after that.

The author, Tony Candela, has a website selling quality automotive wire products plus the two books that he's written on wiring. Inexpensive and full of good information. https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/headlight-relay-kits/

Best of luck with your install and send pictures.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I need to do this asap, lol

Hard wiring a radar detector? Bro, I had my first hard wired radar detector in 2002. You might want to read more and post less. You are really making yourself look dumb.

Btw, how much do your sister and mom charge on backpages? It's not something I'd usually be interested in but it seems like you people need the charity.

ukantwin

Reaction score
has anyone used mirror tap to the AUX upfitter switches? if so which wires did you tap into? thanks in advance

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
has anyone used mirror tap to the AUX upfitter switches? if so which wires did you tap into? thanks in advance

Splice into the wire for the switch you want to use or splice in at the designated interior location in the passenger foot well. Color designations are in your supplemental manual.

If you want to tap the mirror, wire colors are a few pages back in this thread.

Dr.Duct_Mossburg

Reaction score
Btw, how much do your sister and mom charge on backpages? It's not something I'd usually be interested in but it seems like you people need the charity.

Dumbest shit I've ever read from some ******* who probably hasn't done shit in real life to give him a little extra self-esteem. lol, clown.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dumbest shit I've ever read from some ******* who probably hasn't done shit in real life to give him a little extra self-esteem. lol, clown.

Whoa. Now that there is some first class intellect. I'm not sure which piece of wit was the most impressive. It might be the "clown" or it could be the "lol". Doctor, have you had your IQ tested? I think it could be as high as 105 or maybe even as unbelievably high as 110.

You've displayed the kind of leading edge thinking that would be required of a person in order to think that buying a full size pickup truck with a Taurus motor in it is a good idea. :ROFLJest:

:specialed: