Hardwired Devices & Minimum Battery Voltage Cutoff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a dashcam installed that runs off the truck's battery when the ignition is turned off. It has a power management box that tests the battery and shuts down the dashcam if the voltage gets too low, with a shutoff of either 23.2, 22.8, 12.5, or 12 volt. Would a 12 volt cutoff be too low?? Ideally I would like the camera to run overnight while parked when motion is detected, but it's not making it on its current setting.

Last edited:

pughde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a dashcam installed that runs off the truck's battery when the ignition is turned off. It has a power management box that tests the battery and shuts down the dashcam if the voltage gets too low, with a shutoff of either 23.2, 22.8, 12.5, or 12 volt. Would a 12 volt cutoff be too low?? Ideally I would like the camera to run overnight while parked when motion is detected, but it's not making it on its current setting.
Sorry can answer question but would like to know the model of the dash cam sounds interesting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should use 12.5, is this a Blackvue

If so, IIRC the motion sensing is still way too sensitive ie records all night long

OP
OP
M

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Baja guessed right. I'm using a Blackvue 650s-2Ch with Power Magic Pro for the kill switch.

Thanks I'll try 12v. I think I actually set it to the lowest setting this morning so I'll change that. The engine started up without a low battery message and the auto-stop feature is still active, so was hoping that I can go to the lowest voltage.

I do agree that the sensitivity is too high in parking mode. I'm hoping a newer cloud update will improve this performance in the future.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Baja guessed right. I'm using a Blackvue 650s-2Ch with Power Magic Pro for the kill switch.

Thanks I'll try 12v. I think I actually set it to the lowest setting this morning so I'll change that. The engine started up without a low battery message and the auto-stop feature is still active, so was hoping that I can go to the lowest voltage.

I do agree that the sensitivity is too high in parking mode. I'm hoping a newer cloud update will improve this performance in the future.

I just crank my sensitivities in parking mode up to 99 across the board

I've been waiting for the motion fix for a long time, if there's a leaf blowing across the street at night, it will record ... if the security system LED in your car reflects onto the garage wall and blinks, it will record

I'm amazed at how sensitive it is, just disappointed since it doesn't look like they are able to massage it via software

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran the always on power to the camera via a low voltage cutoff, then I can dial it in better.

I used a fuse tap to get the aux power, but I hate fuse taps. They just seem rinky ****, but maybe it will be ok. I am also concerned about the effects on the circuit - since there are so many sensors, diodes, etc. on a 2019 802A. There is a LOT going on with most of the elec systems. Some counterintuitive stuff too, like the link between the drivers door being open and shutting off power to the tow electricity and things like that.

Not sure where you guys recommend to get good clean, ignition on/off power? My camera is tied into a circuit that retains power for a while after the truck is off. I need to find a source that is off when I go to ACC or OFF and is off when the truck is off.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran the always on power to the camera via a low voltage cutoff, then I can dial it in better.

I used a fuse tap to get the aux power, but I hate fuse taps. They just seem rinky ****, but maybe it will be ok. I am also concerned about the effects on the circuit - since there are so many sensors, diodes, etc. on a 2019 802A. There is a LOT going on with most of the elec systems. Some counterintuitive stuff too, like the link between the drivers door being open and shutting off power to the tow electricity and things like that.

Not sure where you guys recommend to get good clean, ignition on/off power? My camera is tied into a circuit that retains power for a while after the truck is off. I need to find a source that is off when I go to ACC or OFF and is off when the truck is off.
there is a rap wire at the bcm in the passenger kick panel. it turns off when you open a door.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is a rap wire at the bcm in the passenger kick panel. it turns off when you open a door.
Thanks. So, the retained accy power would either be on the for 10-15 mins delay, or go off when the drivers door is opened?

I am hesitant to get a true ignition on/off by tapping into the ignition wires. Lots of people seem to do it, but then they don't have all the sensors that a raptor has, so maybe not a fair comparison.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. So, the retained accy power would either be on the for 10-15 mins delay, or go off when the drivers door is opened?

I am hesitant to get a true ignition on/off by tapping into the ignition wires. Lots of people seem to do it, but then they don't have all the sensors that a raptor has, so maybe not a fair comparison.
you dont need to worry about that so much. the electronics have their own built in circuitry. at the fuse box the analog signal powers whatever electronics through the fuse. however the bcm is what sends a modified signal to certain electronics. there isnt an issue going to the fuse box for power. on the gen 2 trucks i always get rap, but you can get the ignition with no issues.