Gen2 Discussion for Gen1 Owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know. I know but I thought I'd start my own thread where we (gen1 owners) can discuss the good and bad of the new Raptor. What we like, don't like, would like to see change, options, v8 option potential. Please post any gen2 pics, info, pricing, options, etc when available.

Gen2 owners are welcome too but not if you're going to complain about every negative thing we post. Sure some will never buy a gen2 with a v6 but then again there are probably quite a few that are at least considering it like myself but for most of us, we won't be trading in our gen1s.

Fire away:

My initial impression (on looks) a year ago when it first debuted was meh. I guess I had such high expectations based on ours, I was let down. It's definitely not as good looking as the gen1s imo. Then we heard it was going to be a v6 and it got worse. I like the 3.0s, extra travel and 500lbs of weight savings but not sure about anything else. From what I've seen and know right now, I lean toward buying a second gen1 in about 2 years unless Ford makes the new Bronco! Could I be swayed to get a gen2 as my second Raptor. Maybe as a daily driver while mile gen1 undergoes more upgrades.

Raptor Origin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlWLsmjf1nE

Born in Baja Movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clola49Bf6c

Last edited:

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I felt the same. The looks are growing on me. When I was out in Henderson, I got a short ride in the blue Rogue 15 (I think). It is a beautiful truck. I would buy it in a second if I had the money. But it is a supercharge v8.
I'm liking the new interior.
All in all I'm looking forward to actually seeing it in the flesh.

Mariner

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The looks are definitely starting to grow on me, but I really want a V8. Luckily I have a few years left on my 13 before it's even worth a trade in, and maybe they'll have a V8 by then.

The other thing is I'm hoping some of my mods transfer over, especially the methods. I don't want to start completely fresh.

But we shall see. I'm a little nervous about the price tag, especially if they do make a V8....

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
It was a letdown for me... I didn't like the looks from all angles and that is a big consideration when you are dropping 60k. After seeing it in person and in different colors (White, Avalanche) I like it now more now.

I don't like the black bead locks... the "stock" wheels with the machined accents are not bad though.

I have reservations and about the TTV6 and 10-speed but since I'm not buying until 2019 there is time to see how those play out. I love a good V8 rumble but I'm OK with no V8 in the Raptor...

My plans are to buy one and keep my old one which can be more of a toy. The new Raptor will see time in the dirt as well but I will keep that more as a DD and right now my thoughts are no mods. Yeah right... I told my wife the same with my Raptor :)

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sold on the looks yet. The squared off edges make it look better suited for slow speed log road romping (think power wagon), not bombing 80 miles per hour down a sand wash in a sleek fashion.

I think it's also taking a softer route and has swayed from its relatively hard core off road beginnings. But the softer approach will probably satisfy all the road queens which probably make up the majority of the sales base. The truck will have instant aftermarket support thanks to the gen 1, so any soft short comings should be easily improved.

I have to wonder how slapped together the gen 2 was/is during development. Ford has so many special projects going on at once I have to wonder if resources weren't skimped. Looking back at the lengths Ford took on the gen1 and I see none of that happening with the gen2. The gen2 will sell regardless due to the gen1 success. Ford could easily slap the truck together and sell it like it hot cakes to all street queens who will believe the truck is all that because it is RAPTOR and therefor bad ass.

OP
OP
WyoStorm

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It does seem like they're trying to appeal to everyone now (street queen, dd, rock crawler, baja-ish off-roading, winter on-road awd mode) whereas the gen1 was tailored for the high speed off-road crowd. Just like many have noted where are all the gen2 high speed off-road videos.

And the looks just aren't as distinctive. Our gen1 didn't look anything like a regular f150. Don't these gen2s look a lot more like the current f150?

Ironhorse07

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like the interior, but the exterior just looks too much like the F150 to me, it doesn't stand out like the gen 1. I don't know if that is all part of the 'we are part of the F150 family now' or not. Just doesn't feel 'special' to me anymore. I think it was a way to trim manufacturing costs myself and they (Ford) are trying to put a positive spin on it. To me it becoming more of a vehicle to please as many people as possible and then instead of being great at one thing it will be mediocre at a lot of things. The marketing department has taken over the Raptor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WyoStorm

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They nailed the gen1 styling. I've only had mine almost 3 years but I still shake my head every time I look at it and start it up. Wow I really own this truck I think. The looks, the sound, the performance, the comfort, the ride. Everything. How much of this will the gen2 instill in us? I just don't know. Right now for me, not much. Just can't right now get over the looks and the future v6 sound. No matter how much horsepower. Quite frankly I'm more than happy with 411. Could we use more, sure we all love horsepower but for what I've done off-road, 411 is more than enough and oh that sound!!!

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's the about the same marketing scheme that Chevy did with the new Vette. Appeal to the new generation of buyers. This truck will be accepted eventually based on it's ability to keep MOST owners happy. There will always be the Gen 1 guys that keep the big V8's running. We will all eventually have to figure out how to get along, just like at the rally outings the Vette guys have. All of us C5 owners talked shit for weeks about the new C7's, until we saw one at the track. Then we just mumbled to ourselves that ours was the best because it still had the flip up headlights and was a 'true' Vette.

I for one am looking forward to Ford proving that this new Gen 2 is more than a street queen equipped with big tires and cool shocks. Then it will be fun at the events seeing who has the best this and that. I will still be one of the guys either saying told you so or mumbling to myself that my trucks the best because it was first........

Status
Not open for further replies.