Gen 2 whine noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iceman7273

Reaction score
I posted this in general area as well.
.18k on my 17. I've noticed a the gear train has seemed to have gotten really noisy. When come to a stop and acceleration. I took a video today at 65 mph. Guess its going back to dealer. Anyome had and have this noise?

https://youtu.be/7vit8nxRmCA

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
not me, that’s a really faint noise in the video, WAG, but almost sounds like a trans low on fluid.

OP
OP
iceman7273

iceman7273

Reaction score
not me, that’s a really faint noise in the video, WAG, but almost sounds like a trans low on fluid.

I climbed under the truck today and the pan is leaking in the trans and its low on fluid. ****** part the ****** hit 241 degrees in tahoe on sunday on a grade and i hope it did burn any clutches. Going in to dealer tomorrow.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Glad I could contribute, sympathies for downtime.

good luck!

OP
OP
iceman7273

iceman7273

Reaction score
Update : day 3 at dealer. Said the trans was overfilled from factory. Told the rep BS. Why would it all of the sudden leak out vent at 18k miles? Told them to keep looking. They can't seem to find the direct location of the noise. Rep told me not coming from trans or rear end. I told them sounds like a bad pinion bearing. Got a better video of the whine.

https://youtu.be/wgLrRKiYSUQ

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I had a bad pinion angle after having a local dealer install gears in my Mustang; it was much more of a howl than a whine

That sounds like transmission to me.
-question - do you have the fake engine noise on, or off?
turning off the fake engine noise reveals a host of low level sounds you don’t normally hear. if i had to guess, I’d say you have it turned on (default).

even so, it also reminds me of a P/S pump that’s not long for this world.

I’m curious to hear what others think.

OP
OP
iceman7273

iceman7273

Reaction score
I had a bad pinion angle after having a local dealer install gears in my Mustang; it was much more of a howl than a whine

That sounds like transmission to me.
-question - do you have the fake engine noise on, or off?
turning off the fake engine noise reveals a host of low level sounds you don’t normally hear. if i had to guess, I’d say you have it turned on (default).

even so, it also reminds me of a P/S pump that’s not long for this world.

I’m curious to hear what others think.

Yeah i was thinking in my head when i first heard it (this sounds like a dry power steering pump) engine noise is still on i havent disabled yet with forscan. Dealer said the put the Stethoscope on parts and said its in the driveline. So its being amplified from top or bottom. With trans fluid leaking out of vent i have a feeling something is wrong with trans. No codes maybe a bad bearing. It is definitely rotational noise

Last edited:

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like road speed related, so it can only be the trans output bearing or some other road-speed related rolling bearing (diff/pinion/wheel) front OR rear.