Gen 2 vs 1 Fuel Economy & Crash Testing Comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobcat82nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty but I didn't buy my truck and supercharge it for fuel economy. That V8 Sound can't be matched.

stephenlocke

Reaction score
Is the new one a scab or screw. I ask cos the rollover shows 5 stars. Checking my window sticker, that only shows 4 stars?????

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have. I always get 16 MPG highway. Gen 2 is a whole 2 MPG higher, huh? Wow. Color me unimpressed.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Those annual average fuel costs are wrong, the Gen 1 sticker is based on $3.50 a gallon. Jen 2 is based on $2.45 a gallon.

Should read $2826 for Gen 1 vs $2300 for Jen 2. $526 a year savings with Jennifer.

I've averaged $2.08 a gallon since I bought my truck, so at that average price it's $2400 for Gen 1 and $1950 for Jen 2. $450 a year.

As gas prices continue to drop, that difference becomes less and less. It's just not that much difference in fuel costs overall- especially considering the leap in technology to an aluminum body and smaller displacement, more complex turbo engine.

All this changes vastly if gas get back up to $4 or $5 a gallon, but the status quo is usually a safe bet.

I'd like to take this moment to thank all the hard working people in our oil industry who have managed to make OPEC irrelevant as we rose to the top producer of oil in the world. The Canucks are OK too I guess. Back to your regularly scheduled Jen 2 bashing....

Last edited:

john.rubicon.54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could care less about the fuel cost but I am impressed with the crash rating. Still keeping my gen 1 until it falls apart but maybe I'll get into a gen 2 for a daily driver in a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why can't this shit stop?

Constantly fueling the old vs new debate. Constantly rubbing people's noses in the fact that his truck is one of the early ones to get released.

That's 13-year-old stuff. Seriously, I'm beginning to wonder if this Jake guy is actually old enough to drive. This all comes across like some teenage kid posting about his dad's new truck. Granted, there's a decent list of current owners who are absolutely no better, but adding this much fuel to the fire isn't anything a well adjusted adult would do.

There is/will be a ton of technical know how on this site for owners - I hope that this Jake guy doesn't ever need help from anyone here once he gets his truck. He's definitely on the fast track to getting banned.

window2time

Reaction score
Actually OPEC just created a new agreement to cut oil production. "Some speculators think it may mark the beginning of the end of a two-year glut in the world’s oil markets, during which prices have fallen by half and producers such as Venezuela have come close to collapse."

OPEC reaches a deal to cut production | The Economist

I have. I always get 16 MPG highway. Gen 2 is a whole 2 MPG higher, huh? Wow. Color me unimpressed.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Those annual average fuel costs are wrong, the Gen 1 sticker is based on $3.50 a gallon. Jen 2 is based on $2.45 a gallon.

Should read $2826 for Gen 1 vs $2300 for Jen 2. $526 a year savings with Jennifer.

I've averaged $2.08 a gallon since I bought my truck, so at that average price it's $2400 for Gen 1 and $1950 for Jen 2. $450 a year.

As gas prices continue to drop, that difference becomes less and less. It's just not that much difference in fuel costs overall- especially considering the leap in technology to an aluminum body and smaller displacement, more complex turbo engine.

All this changes vastly if gas get back up to $4 or $5 a gallon, but the status quo is usually a safe bet.

I'd like to take this moment to thank all the hard working people in our oil industry who have managed to make OPEC irrelevant as we rose to the top producer of oil in the world. The Canucks are OK too I guess. Back to your regularly scheduled Jen 2 bashing....