GEN 2 Is the Gen 2 "stable" considering upgrade.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, let me start by saying that I am not here to start a fight or debate on 1 versus 2 or whatever. Both great trucks. Everybody loves their truck a lot I know.

I do however want to know from Gen 2 owners if they have any issues since purchasing that would be bad enough to try and get an 18 over a 17 or so on and so forth.

I have heard of a few factory "flaws" with the botched opening of the 2017 line and since have heard small issues here and there. I am just interested in hearing from a collection of owners if the Gen 2 2017 is stable in a sense of are there problems with it the first year out, little flaws that will have to be solved.

I currently have a 2013 with 98k miles and every one of them was fun but not problem-less. I mean I could go on for a while. I'm mainly just looking for any major flaws that would raise concern, brakes not working, electrical issues, transmission, etc.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to say this and have a problem soon, but my '17 has been absolutely fantastic in the 5 months/~5300 miles that I've driven it. No problems whatsoever.

Obviously, I am far from the hardest user on the truck, but there has yet to be something that I've asked of the truck that it hasn't delivered... and that's driving it in "Normal" mode 98% of the time. There is plenty of power, a smooth, quiet ride, and plenty of creature comforts. I did some really light towing the other day (maybe 1200 pounds or so), and used tow/haul mode for the first time... and was impressed with the tweaks that resulted. Don't get me wrong, I fully realize that 1200 pounds is a far cry from a heavy load, but it's certainly enough to highlight any problems that may exist.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, let me start by saying that I am not here to start a fight or debate on 1 versus 2 or whatever. Both great trucks. Everybody loves their truck a lot I know.

I do however want to know from Gen 2 owners if they have any issues since purchasing that would be bad enough to try and get an 18 over a 17 or so on and so forth.

I have heard of a few factory "flaws" with the botched opening of the 2017 line and since have heard small issues here and there. I am just interested in hearing from a collection of owners if the Gen 2 2017 is stable in a sense of are there problems with it the first year out, little flaws that will have to be solved.

I currently have a 2013 with 98k miles and every one of them was fun but not problem-less. I mean I could go on for a while. I'm mainly just looking for any major flaws that would raise concern, brakes not working, electrical issues, transmission, etc.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

nope. over 5k miles, not a single issue

no diff between the '17 or 18's

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I think it's definitely hit or miss, but that's why you have the warranty, and why you buy the extended warranty.

I will say that Ford has seemed to take care of even the biggest issues anyone has had. @MJslasherADMIN is a prime example. Ford finally stepped up and hooked him up. What I learned from his fiasco was that getting a good dealer is EVERYTHING though.

I would't be scared of upgrading based on some trucks having issues. Just be cognizant that it could happen.