Gen 2 Raptor or 2016 F250?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fogcitysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Current 2016 4runner owner here. My needs have changed and its falling short of expectations so I'm a long time Ford lover and previous F150 owner. I'm looking at buying either a Gen 2 Raptor or a 2016/15 F250 Diesel King Ranch. For the next couple of years it would be a daily driver and when I retire a full time travel machine to go photograph landscapes and surf. Right now it would be a combination of both.

My concern is the Raptor carrying weight. I won't be doing Baja or Hells revenge. I will be carrying RTT (on a low bed rack), surfboards, fridge, bed rack and roof rack, camera equipment, etc. I don't want to modify the Raptor suspension. The F250 could get adjustable suspension, lift and tires and still be less money.

There may be a time when I want a slide in camper and I would think the F250 option would be the way to go with that, but thats a long ways away and not certain.

So how does the Raptor handle weight? Will the F250 be more versatile?

Any comments about weight, size, usage, mods, links to other discussions etc would be greatly appreciated thanks!

fx4210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like f250 is a bit better.. or maybe a used Gen 1 raptor.. you can enjoy it while working and a dd and not take a big hit if you decide you want to switch to the SD later.

Are you against modding the raptor because of the hefty price of a New raptor or because you just don't want to mod it? There are options to get used raptors and sure up the rear to help support the weight of your travel gear.

Idleone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like f250 is a bit better.. or maybe a used Gen 1 raptor.. you can enjoy it while working and a dd and not take a big hit if you decide you want to switch to the SD later.

Are you against modding the raptor because of the hefty price of a New raptor or because you just don't want to mod it? There are options to get used raptors and sure up the rear to help support the weight of your travel gear.

I think the Gen 1 is also what you need. A real mans truck.

OP
OP
F

Fogcitysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I was just thinking about the Gen 1. I wouldn't feel so bad if I needed to mod it. I'm not against modding the Gen 2, but I like the idea of keeping it stock because of the OEM engineering. Kinda silly, just personal preference.

OP
OP
F

Fogcitysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think the Gen 1 is also what you need. A real mans truck.

I do like a V8!!!!