GEN 2 Gen 2 offroad review with bolt on's from previous gen1 owner.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stickman89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take this review for what it's worth just my opinion and that about all. Not everyone will agree. I've had my first real experience offroad in the gen2 this last weekend. With 2200 miles on the clock And No issues at all besides a Quality control issue so far back seat belt was never attached at base that's it. My gen 2 is an 801a scab optioned out around $58k. Ordered at msrp back in aug picked up feb 18th. For peace of mind I just basically covered the standards for bolt on's. Went with Rouge front bumper paired with BD Arc 40" (insane bright), rpg mid perch collars, upper control arms, is tie rods up front. Out back I have Deaver +3's with rpg drop shackles and a rogue bump kit set a 130psi. Running icon wheels stock tires.

My gen1 10 6.2 scab with the usual mods fox 3.0s, bumps, uca's, leafs, ties, etc etc. loved that truck only let me down one time at silver lake with a broken axle. Did a few trips with glre and many trips to the dunes with friends. One of reason's I copied the gen 1 with mods is because leafs and 3.0s make a world of difference on the gen1's crazy.

Now onto how this gen2 performed. It's been awhile since I have been to the dunes adrenaline pumping shakes etc you know the drill. Air down to 14psi check bumps get on the sand. Take it easy at first testing out modes and cruise down by the lake. Alright this thing is pretty sweet I'm thinking. I found Baja mode to be my favorite rpm always right no lag. Always power lots of it whenever you want it. Manual shift why no reason I'm thinking this things just knows what I want. Go to test hill and shit smooth as butter slow down a bit for the top and good thing about a 5' ridge sand flys over hood. No harm no foul. Make about 5 full dune loops no stop runs around the dunes getting faster each time. First thing I noticed man everything is cool. Transmission motor. After lunch come back out and just give it hell after I get used to it. Raced an x3 xrs on the drag strip and was right at his rear bumper and started to pull at 70mph.

When I say this truck is fast it is real fast. The one thing I thought is my gen 1 never had enough power. Even with full exhaust Intake a tune it needed supercharged (I only ever felt it needed more power in the sand) I always found myself manually shifting it at the dunes and bogging up hills if I shifted to early It had to be just right high rpm and smashed gas. But the gen1 with stainless works just screams ******* America.

Drive modes I came to appreciate these on the gt350 so I was excited to see these on the new trucks. One thing I noticed with the gen1 is I loved to be diff locked on 2wd but if I made a mistake and got stuck I would have to switch to 4x4 disable all that shit get unstuck switch back. Does it suck to not diff lock in 2wd yeah alittle but I will be honest I just picked Baja mode and never messed with it again all day.

The gen 2 feels light on its feet and extremely easy to drive offroad. I can be focused on ripping but yet carry on a conversation or jam out to music. Maybe the music comes into play because I don't hear that v8 at high rpm.

Overall I'm blown away at how well this thing does with stock shocks. On the extremely harsh stuff it takes alittle bit to recover but damn not bad at all. As good as the gen1 with 3.0s no it's not. but way better than the stock 2.5s. Again I can say enough about the power so much of it all the time and doesn't get hot at all wow. My transmission and shit in the gen1 was always hot and had to let it cool down. honestly don't think I will Rush to get more power out of it right away. I'm excited to see what vendors some out with in the future.

Jumping yeah I jumped alittle. I've always been terrible at picking out jumps but wanted to give a shot. Started out at 30 then 40 then 50mph butter smooth quiet landing. Peer pressure from my friends I decided to hit at 58-60 started out great but more distance got me into where the dunes started upward a hair. Took a hit on skid plate but honestly barely felt it in the truck. Part of the game and skid plate did its job thanks rogue. Please send me quote for a new one haha. I love the gen2 I also love the gen1 and would drive either one of them. If I could have a blown 5.0 in the gen2 that would be a perfect combo. Why? not for the hp because the gen2 doesn't need it but I do miss the sound but that is the only thing I miss. Everything else is an upgrade bravo Ford performance. I really didn't think I would like it that much better.

Road manners truck is nicer than driving my wife's last gen escalade. I find myself speeding because everything is so smooth. I loved tossing my buddies quad in the back and cruising home @80mph getting 16.2mpg. All the guys that say **** mpg come on I love saving money where I can specially running premium in both gen's adds up.

b6a9cdc51c1a9b8032e32635e973cbab.jpg

e5df9ecfce790453b07ba094dc47c3e6.jpg

ca39e042479df6af3b3779c6d4b3902e.jpg

b3862a64a9b817811eb19f6eee1bd83d.jpg

28d946bc32b7ee45bf6d5e434b23282c.jpg

c8e789aa78e32c16f8158d467b87dab8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take this review for what it's worth just my opinion and that about all. Not everyone will agree. I've had my first real experience offroad in the gen2 this last weekend. With 2200 miles on the clock And No issues at all besides a Quality control issue so far back seat belt was never attached at base that's it. My gen 2 is an 801a scab optioned out around $58k. Ordered at msrp back in aug picked up feb 18th. For peace of mind I just basically covered the standards for bolt on's. Went with Rouge front bumper paired with BD Arc 40" (insane bright), rpg mid perch collars, upper control arms, is tie rods up front. Out back I have Deaver +3's with rpg drop shackles and a rogue bump kit set a 130psi. Running icon wheels stock tires.

My gen1 10 6.2 scab with the usual mods fox 3.0s, bumps, uca's, leafs, ties, etc etc. loved that truck only let me down one time at silver lake with a broken axle. Did a few trips with glre and many trips to the dunes with friends. One of reason's I copied the gen 1 with mods is because leafs and 3.0s make a world of difference on the gen1's crazy.

Now onto how this gen2 performed. It's been awhile since I have been to the dunes adrenaline pumping shakes etc you know the drill. Air down to 14psi check bumps get on the sand. Take it easy at first testing out modes and cruise down by the lake. Alright this thing is pretty sweet I'm thinking. I found Baja mode to be my favorite rpm always right no lag. Always power lots of it whenever you want it. Manual shift why no reason I'm thinking this things just knows what I want. Go to test hill and shit smooth as butter slow down a bit for the top and good thing about a 5' ridge sand flys over hood. No harm no foul. Make about 5 full dune loops no stop runs around the dunes getting faster each time. First thing I noticed man everything is cool. Transmission motor. After lunch come back out and just give it hell after I get used to it. Raced an x3 xrs on the drag strip and was right at his rear bumper and started to pull at 70mph.

When I say this truck is fast it is real fast. The one thing I thought is my gen 1 never had enough power. Even with full exhaust Intake a tune it needed supercharged (I only ever felt it needed more power in the sand) I always found myself manually shifting it at the dunes and bogging up hills if I shifted to early It had to be just right high rpm and smashed gas. But the gen1 with stainless works just screams ******* America.

Drive modes I came to appreciate these on the gt350 so I was excited to see these on the new trucks. One thing I noticed with the gen1 is I loved to be diff locked on 2wd but if I made a mistake and got stuck I would have to switch to 4x4 disable all that shit get unstuck switch back. Does it suck to not diff lock in 2wd yeah alittle but I will be honest I just picked Baja mode and never messed with it again all day.

The gen 2 feels light on its feet and extremely easy to drive offroad. I can be focused on ripping but yet carry on a conversation or jam out to music. Maybe the music comes into play because I don't hear that v8 at high rpm.

Overall I'm blown away at how well this thing does with stock shocks. On the extremely harsh stuff it takes alittle bit to recover but damn not bad at all. As good as the gen1 with 3.0s no it's not. but way better than the stock 2.5s. Again I can say enough about the power so much of it all the time and doesn't get hot at all wow. My transmission and shit in the gen1 was always hot and had to let it cool down. honestly don't think I will Rush to get more power out of it right away. I'm excited to see what vendors some out with in the future.

Jumping yeah I jumped alittle. I've always been terrible at picking out jumps but wanted to give a shot. Started out at 30 then 40 then 50mph butter smooth quiet landing. Peer pressure from my friends I decided to hit at 58-60 started out great but more distance got me into where the dunes started upward a hair. Took a hit on skid plate but honestly barely felt it in the truck. Part of the game and skid plate did its job thanks rogue. Please send me quote for a new one haha. I love the gen2 I also love the gen1 and would drive either one of them. If I could have a blown 5.0 in the gen2 that would be a perfect combo. Why? not for the hp because the gen2 doesn't need it but I do miss the sound but that is the only thing I miss. Everything else is an upgrade bravo Ford performance. I really didn't think I would like it that much better.

Road manners truck is nicer than driving my wife's last gen escalade. I find myself speeding because everything is so smooth. I loved tossing my buddies quad in the back and cruising home @80mph getting 16.2mpg. All the guys that say **** mpg come on I love saving money where I can specially running premium in both gen's adds up.

b6a9cdc51c1a9b8032e32635e973cbab.jpg

e5df9ecfce790453b07ba094dc47c3e6.jpg

ca39e042479df6af3b3779c6d4b3902e.jpg

b3862a64a9b817811eb19f6eee1bd83d.jpg

28d946bc32b7ee45bf6d5e434b23282c.jpg

c8e789aa78e32c16f8158d467b87dab8.jpg

That last landing photo looks brutal.

OP
OP
S

Stickman89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you go with the new rpg uca arms? I thinking of getting them in alum finish and mid perch collar.

Rogue uca's

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

That last landing photo looks brutal.

I honestly barely felt anything. Bent up skid plate. But at almost 60 I'm glad it was just the skid.