Gen 2 dead battery. Valet key will not turn the door lock cylinder?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When putting on my front sunshade last night I must have flipped an upfitter on by mistake and my battery is now completely dead. I'm 802A keyless. Of course, owner's manual is locked in car so I can't look at it.

I got the metal valet key out of the keyfob and inserted it into the driver's door handle. It will not turn past a quarter turn and so does not open the door.

Is there some kung-fu one has to do to get the doors opened and hood popped so I can jump it?

I searched and did not find an answer, so appreciate the pointers.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The aux switched do not work with the vehicle off so something else is the cause and are you using the correct key? The fob is the valet key are you using the spare tire key by accident?

Attachments

• 20180531_091503.jpg
    20180531_091503.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20180531_091519.jpg
    20180531_091519.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with Hockster.

Also, the upfitter switch shouldnt kill the battery. Mine are not powered unless the ignition is on. I leave 2 switches on all the time...

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The aux switched do not work with the vehicle off so something else is the cause and are you using the correct key? The fob is the valet key are you using the spare tire key by accident?

Spare tire key? On my 2018, I have a small gold key without a large black head on it like the one in your picture. Is that my spare tire key?

Obviously, I was not listening when the salesman was babbling on about all of the features on my new truck or I would not have to ask...

Attachments

• 3AE4344F-E281-484F-91BD-E2224E807EF7.jpg
    3AE4344F-E281-484F-91BD-E2224E807EF7.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hmmm, the key on the left in your pictures, my 2018 did not come with one of those?

The one on the right, the one in the key fob, works both my spare tire lock and door locks.

As to the rest, as others have said, the Upfitter switches should not leave any power on when the truck is off (except with a Super Duty after you have moved a fuse, not possible on the Raptor). I have a couple of Aux switches on all the time, no issue.

T!

OP
OP
X

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, I have upfitters wired to constant power to power fans in back for doggies along with LED light bars. Regardless, I am looking for tips on how to open truck, not discuss why it died.

My 802A keyfob pops open and there is a key housed in it that looks like the one TXRaptor posted above. It goes into the driver's door lock, but just wont turn to release the lock.

joegie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just went outside and tested mine, with only the key inside the fob it popped open the door lock, i had to turn it to the left. if the key inside the fob does't unlock the door you probably want to talk to your dealer and figure out why. maybe it wasn't cut correctly or something from the factory.

edit: just checked my spare key and it looks like the one with the black plastic pictured above.

Last edited:

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, I have upfitters wired to constant power to power fans in back for doggies along with LED light bars. Regardless, I am looking for tips on how to open truck, not discuss why it died.

My 802A keyfob pops open and there is a key housed in it that looks like the one TXRaptor posted above. It goes into the driver's door lock, but just wont turn to release the lock.

Ah ok didnt know you have power on at switches all time sorry. :)

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tried both of my 2018 keys, the small gold one and the one inside my key fob. They look like the same physical key other than the color. The both opened my truck when I turned them to the left and locked my truck when I turned them to the right.

After unlocking it with the gold key, my alarm went off when I opened the door. Since I did not have my key fob (on purpose) I had to use the code on my door pad to stop the alarm from sounding. I guess that is a double security feature?!?

Either your door lock is stuck or they gave you the wrong key for some reason.

Attachments

• 36B26432-FD04-4BDF-9CDE-AF29CA2D4831.jpg
    36B26432-FD04-4BDF-9CDE-AF29CA2D4831.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
X

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gents thank you for your tips. I hit the lock cylinder with some lock ease and it opened with the hidden key inside the fob when turned left.

Power locks are down so I couldnt open rear door or tailgate. But I could at least get in and pop the trunk. All good now.