Gen 1 to Gen 2 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ace75

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I don't want to start a bashing thread. I want to hear from others that have made the switch from Gen 1 to Gen 2.
I like the newfound power that the Gen 2 has. However, the steering and suspension don't feel as good as the Gen 1 for freeway driving. With the gen 1, when driving at freeway speeds and hitting dips or big expansion joints, the gen 1 stays centered and stable. I noticed with the gen 2 it gets unsettled almost like it washes out a bit, and the truck doesn't seem to maintain its composure as well. Is this something that could be improved by matching alignment settings with what the gen 1?

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found it to be the opposite from what you are saying between my gen 1 and gen 2's..

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tire pressure. or put deavers on it. Gen 2 has better shocks and a stiffer frame so it should be better on paper. Mine bounced all over the damn place driving home from the dealer with way way too high tire pressure.

OP
OP
A

ace75

Reaction score
Ill try dropping the tire pressure, thanks. So far, the new truck is averaging 4mpg better than the gen1, and is much faster as well. It's like having your cake and eating it too.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I would also like to point out that as you make adjustments, be sure to compare the same stretch of pavement for your adjustments. I’ve got a stretch of US1 with man hole covers seemingly every 50 yards in each lane. It drives Lucille bat-$hit-crazy.

Keep an open mind before you go changing things too radically. What tire and pressure where you running with the Jennifer?

and what pressure are you running in the newer Jenny?
also - 2h or 4a? normal drive mode or sport? what steering wheel setting?

If you’re running around with no cargo, 38 is probably a little high, especially for the rear, but will probably give better economy. You might be able to get a little more compliance out of the rear by dropping down a few PSI. don’t make any major changes at once.

good luck.

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
+1 for tire pressure and Deavers

I run 36F, 33R cold, heats up to the sweet spot right under the 38psi rating.

Note: I have about 100-150 lbs in the bed all the time.