Gear 1-3 Grind?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chujk1985

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all - hoping you all can give me a little help/guidance.

My raptor has 2500 miles on it, and for the past two mornings, I have noticed some strange grind noise from what I believe is the transmission when its shifting from 1-3. Once the truck is warm is seems to go away throughout the day.

I have noticed lately that my first "pull" out of my neighborhood, it seems like the transmission is really lagging during that shift.

Has anyone experienced any of this? Known issue or anything?

I will be trying to catch it on video.

Thanks for any and all help.

squeak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all - hoping you all can give me a little help/guidance.

My raptor has 2500 miles on it, and for the past two mornings, I have noticed some strange grind noise from what I believe is the transmission when its shifting from 1-3. Once the truck is warm is seems to go away throughout the day.

I have noticed lately that my first "pull" out of my neighborhood, it seems like the transmission is really lagging during that shift.

Has anyone experienced any of this? Known issue or anything?

I will be trying to catch it on video.

Thanks for any and all help.
I notice when it's cold that my trans does something very similar... it feels like my trans is hesitating. It holds the rpms and then shifts after a second.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

chujk1985

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I notice when it's cold that my trans does something very similar... it feels like my trans is hesitating. It holds the rpms and then shifts after a second.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yep! Thats what happens.

I noticed the 1-3 slight grind the last couple of days when the trans is cold. I love this truck, but this trans is annoying.

MeFryRice

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
During my first drive in the morning, the transmission is very hesitant. I believe this may be due to the fluid Ford uses in this transmission.

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you have a physical grind you should take it to the dealer.

If its just an initial lag then thats not uncommon. Mine will lag on the 1st shift every so often if I dont let the truck warm up for a min. Just let it warm up (rpm drop) and its fine.

OP
OP
C

chujk1985

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a physical grind you should take it to the dealer.

If its just an initial lag then thats not uncommon. Mine will lag on the 1st shift every so often if I dont let the truck warm up for a min. Just let it warm up (rpm drop) and its fine.

Ive been trying to get it on video (for sound) the past couple of days. I cannot recreate it any more. Might take it in just to be safe and sound.

BBLV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was ever so slightly sluggish and had a HARD 1-2 shift in sport mode. Dealer just reflashed my trans this week and it seems much improved. Far from perfect, but improved. FYI my '18 was built in March.