Fuel grade required for the 2nd gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I applaud you for actually looking up the info in the manual.

Incorrect. First line clearly says it is designed to run on a minimum octane of 87. There is a BIG difference between "required" and "recommended" most of which is attributable to marketing (fanbois are eager to spend money on premium fuel because it sounds better than regular fuel, a truck that runs premium is better right? BMW has been doing this for years), and fine print to give Ford wiggle room in potential law suit defense down the line.

The manual also recommends a bunch of other stuff such as type of oil and air filter and disallows any mods, do you follow all of it like its the bible? Just curious.

There is definitely a debate on this. Instructors at Raptor Assault aren't running 93, you think they know a bit more about these trucks than Internet warriors on FRF? I think so. Look, I am not starting threads asking everyone to run 87. I choose to run 87 in my $71k truck because that feels better to me.

Again, there is no debate on this at all. None whatsoever. Ford recommends 91 octane fuel, explicitly stating that it will give you the best performance. You can run the engine on lower grade gas (at reduced performance), but only as low as 87 octane, which I agree is the minimum required grade. So I have no problem with you or anyone else running 87 octane, as long as you are willing to sacrifice a little performance, and especially as long as you are being very careful to listen for detonation, as Ford recommends. This has nothing to do with feelings, by the way. It has to do with performance and engine longevity.

And no, I really don't care what the guys at Raptor assault said. For all I know they are a bunch of high school dropouts.

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

I posted this once before.

Just for the record:

from 2017 F150 Owner Manual:

from Ford F150 Raptor Supplement Printing:

I am not debating that 87 is the minimum required grade and I never have. But that is irrelevant to the topic I am commenting about, which is that higher grade fuels will give you better performance.

I really don't have any idea why anyone thinks a relatively high compression, relatively high boost motor would make the most power on 87.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And no, I really don't care what the guys at Raptor assault said. For all I know they are a bunch of high school dropouts.

Just so you can now know. The guys there all have racing backgrounds including high level circuits and meet yearly with the engineers who designed the truck to go over all the details of it.

They probably have forgotten more about racing and the truck than you know now.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just so you can now know. The guys there all have racing backgrounds including high level circuits and meet yearly with the engineers who designed the truck to go over all the details of it.

That's nice.

They probably have forgotten more about racing and the truck than you know now.

Nice edit. Very informative.

By the way, kind of sounds like you have a little man crush on these guys, huh Jenny?

:supergay:

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's nice.

Nice edit. Very informative.

By the way, kind of sounds like you have a little man crush on these guys, huh Jenny?

:supergay:

Good one Truckzor! You got me with the gay reference!

I remember a kid in the 6th grade got me with the same line once.

Messiah62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have tried 87 from the dealer, 91, and now a tank of E15 (not sure of the octane rating 88?). Daily driving performance seems to be identical on all of them, and mileage on the E15 seems decent. I am averaging 18.6 right now.

taoseno

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cant seem to tell much difference at this altitude (7,000 feet)...............

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a 23 hp and 40 ft-lb (at rear wheels) difference between 87 and 93 on the 2017 3.5L Ecoboost engine found in the normal F-150. Both torque and hp only show differences above 4250rpm; below this engine speed the traces are identical regardless of fuel AKI.

This difference will likely be slightly larger for the H.O. version of the 3.5L found in the Gen2 Raptor, due to the higher intake manifold pressures and increased peak cylinder pressures along the torque curve. In other words, the Raptor will make at least 23 rwhp more on 93 than on 87 (as expected), although this will only be noticeable while running at WOT above ~4250rpm.

Takeaway: For daily driving at partial throttle positions, there will be no measurable differences between the 87 and 93 AKI fuels. At full throttle operating conditions, there is a measurable power increase above ~4250rpm.

I am in the automotive industry, and my source for this data is a reputable third-party automotive test facility that The Big 3 utilize for competitive benchmarking.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a 23 hp and 40 ft-lb (at rear wheels) difference between 87 and 93 on the 2017 3.5L Ecoboost engine found in the normal F-150. Both torque and hp only show differences above 4250rpm; below this engine speed the traces are identical regardless of fuel AKI.

This difference will likely be slightly larger for the H.O. version of the 3.5L found in the Gen2 Raptor, due to the higher intake manifold pressures and increased peak cylinder pressures along the torque curve. In other words, the Raptor will make at least 23 rwhp more on 93 than on 87 (as expected), although this will only be noticeable while running at WOT above ~4250rpm.

Takeaway: For daily driving at partial throttle positions, there will be no measurable differences between the 87 and 93 AKI fuels. At full throttle operating conditions, there is a measurable power increase above ~4250rpm.

I am in the automotive industry, and my source for this data is a reputable third-party automotive test facility that The Big 3 utilize for competitive benchmarking.

I buy this.