Fuel grade required for the 2nd gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My posting of the manual excerpt was in relationship to the previous comments of "only 91 OCT" when the manual was actually saying the you could go as low as the 87 and so you have taken my post somewhat out of context by using it for spark plug arguments and rather strange comments such as "Let that be a lesson to all the penny pinching, manual quoting idiots running 87 octane" which has no explanation or reference in your rambling post.

Truth is that for most, if not all parts, one should use the vehicle VIN# so that the parts tech (in theory) will look up and be referenced to the latest part. If you walk in and ask for "SP534's" there is a good chance you'll get them as opposed to giving the VIN and getting the latest SP550's.

When it becomes time to change my plugs I will go the VIN# route and not "I need SP550's gapped at .028 because FRF says so". There is some intelligence in here but also a lot of scary idiots working without skill on a $70k vehicle. I wouldn't trust half the people with the kind of changes being made when most demonstrate zero ability to even change their oil successfully. One needs to be very careful in whom they trust, I believe.

So back to the evils of 87! I've ran 87 almost exclusively for my Gen 2's 15,000 miles. To this point, the majority of its time is spent doing trips of 100 to 300 miles; very little in town traffic or red light racing, and it seems to do fine on 87 and, on the occasions a little tete-to-tete racing has been needed it has never failed to perform. Did I miss the extra 10HP from 91? I don't think so. Did I miss the 0.1second from the red light - not yet!

If my only mission was to treat every trip as a full speed, race from every light regardless of whether there was anyone to race and all at full boost, then yup I would be using the higher octane.

My truck gets used a lot in a number of driving styles with the only missing mode so far being the BAJA since the high speed desert racing is hard to find in Louisiana! It gets driven hard but not abused. But I'm feeling confident that when I change the plugs at 30k I will not be sitting there wishing I'd have run the higher octane.

And to conclude, I have neither the Sasquatch drilled hole in the intercooler, and nor do I have a catch can -and so by that I may never make the 30k mark, yes?

Just think of all the money you would have saved if you bought a used XLT.

robbcwz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just think of all the money you would have saved if you bought a used XLT.

And you should think of how much the intelligence quota of this group would increase if you took your stupidity elsewhere! A review of your contributions equate to less than useless; you really either latch on to others comments but really offer nothing substantial. You must be Sasquatches sister or close relative.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And you should think of how much the intelligence quota of this group would increase if you took your stupidity elsewhere! A review of your contributions equate to less than useless; you really either latch on to others comments but really offer nothing substantial. You must be Sasquatches sister or close relative.

As does your pointless ramblings about applying the gas with a feather’s touch so you can save $300 on a truck that will depreciate $10k this year. Be sure to invest that $300 wisely and maybe someday you will $500! Just think of all the things you can do with $500!

Sasquatch78

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Jaz is not in the Sasquatch family. and the only Sasquatch with an unhealthy troll obsession is that no good knucklehead Sasquatch77 - banned several times but now trolling here as MGD.

FmaxTurboSi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I get my raptor......I won't be able to afford gas, so I hope the dealer fills her up. And then I'll just put the water hose to the tank and hope for the best.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
when I get my raptor......I won't be able to afford gas, so I hope the dealer fills her up. And then I'll just put the water hose to the tank and hope for the best.

I have narco-gas shipped up from a contact in Mexico. It smells like @$$, and runs about the same, but hey, what’s a few backfires and such matter.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t believe this is even a discussion, you just paid 70K for a truck and you don’t want to put 91? SMH

I love how paying $70k for a truck means you have to stop asking intelligent questions and all of a sudden become stupid. My guess is you are also an apple fanboi.

Some of us want to remain independent thinkers even after we start making decent money.