Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]

Fuel grade required for the 2nd gen

This is a discussion on Fuel grade required for the 2nd gen within the Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!

User Tag List

Like Tree122Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2017, 12:36 AM   #141 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by robbcwz View Post
The Raptor supplement page 38 may be a better reference than the "general" F150 Manual:
You see? there you go getting all factual on us.

This is the INTERNET fer fooks sake. EVERYONE is an engineer on the internet.

Queue trollers claiming you’re inserting your feels.
WhatExit? likes this.

smurfslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #142 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Originally Posted by jabroni619 View Post
Not really saying anything different. We know a minimum of 87 is required.
I'm not sure everyone agrees on "minimum" - hence the conflicts. I don't much care what people do in regards to 87 v 91 v 93, but I would assume the Raptor supplemental booklet takes precedence over the general F150 manual. Seems like people get hung up over what the wording is in the generic manual rather than just looking at the Raptor supplement which is specific on minimum requirements.

If nothing else, this thread is making people actually look at their manuals plus it is all mildly amusing.
robbcwz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:44 AM   #143 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Originally Posted by robbcwz View Post
I'm not sure everyone agrees on "minimum" - hence the conflicts. I don't much care what people do in regards to 87 v 91 v 93, but I would assume the Raptor supplemental booklet takes precedence over the general F150 manual. Seems like people get hung up over what the wording is in the generic manual rather than just looking at the Raptor supplement which is specific on minimum requirements.

If nothing else, this thread is making people actually look at their manuals plus it is all mildly amusing.
Raptor has a higher output version of the 3.5EB and higher octane is even more important for maximum performance than the standard engine. Ford dumbs down the engine maps to accommodate 87 octane to avoid detonation and damaging the engine.
WhatExit? likes this.
jaz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #144 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Lets just END this thread.

so we can all agree....
It runs fine on 87, wont damage your engine and any performance increase with 91 octane will be hard to impossible to notice for most driving conditions so save your money unless you really need to stress the engine.

There. Its over. NO MORE POSTS!
xxaarraa and Mcnawsty like this.
df4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:14 PM   #145 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I don't agree. Benefits of premium can be realized in more than the fringe cases you seem to be implying. Examples have already been provided in this thread.
Domoic likes this.

Last edited by jabroni619; 09-13-2017 at 12:17 PM.
jabroni619 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #146 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by df4801 View Post
Lets just END this thread.

so we can all agree....
It runs fine on 87, wont damage your engine and any performance increase with 91 octane will be hard to impossible to notice for most driving conditions so save your money unless you really need to stress the engine.

There. Its over. NO MORE POSTS!
Exactly right brother! The difference is not noticeable as long as a person never uses more than half throttle. Anything more than 225 hp is totally excessive and unnecessary.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #147 (permalink)
FRF Addict

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Originally Posted by smurfslayer View Post
You see? there you go getting all factual on us.

This is the INTERNET fer fooks sake. EVERYONE is an engineer on the internet.

Queue trollers claiming you’re inserting your feels.
That information, though factual, is non contradictory to both the main owner's manual and to what is being argued here by those of us who possess both basic automotive knowledge and functioning brains, which obviously leaves you out.

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

Originally Posted by df4801 View Post
It typically runs fine on 87 octane, albeit at reduced performance, and running shit fuel shouldn't damage your engine as long as you never use it as intended and if you are extra vigilant about listening for engine knock.
Fixed it for you.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:56 PM   #148 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

OK this thread keeps bouncing to the top of my tapatalk and I cannot seem to shake it.

Some gentleman said above that anything above 225 hp is excessive. Yes, regardless of whether you own a Ferrari or Lambo or a Ford Focus, everyday life only needs so much power. Of course there are going to be exceptional situations when you are going to need all the power, no doubt. But they are exceptions and not the rule.

You knuckle heads are welcome to take the big Raptor to the drag strip and try and squeeze every last HP out of it. Me, I will take my vette of one of my super bikes and leave the raptor for offroading and daily driving, where 87 makes the same power as 93.

Smurf, I say the same thing to you as I did to df. Let it go brother. Ultimately, it comes down to this. Pundits like Truckzor and jabarooni et al are in their honey moon phase. They bought their first ever nice car and want to shower it with the best, even if its a waste of money. We have all been there, so I can empathize.

The rest of us that have had nice things for a long time and have other nice things and know where to spend money and where not to, we can run 87 as it says in the owner's manual.
xxaarraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:08 PM   #149 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
OK this thread keeps bouncing to the top of my tapatalk and I cannot seem to shake it.

Some gentleman said above that anything above 225 hp is excessive. Yes, regardless of whether you own a Ferrari or Lambo or a Ford Focus, everyday life only needs so much power. Of course there are going to be exceptional situations when you are going to need all the power, no doubt. But they are exceptions and not the rule.

You knuckle heads are welcome to take the big Raptor to the drag strip and try and squeeze every last HP out of it. Me, I will take my vette of one of my super bikes and leave the raptor for offroading and daily driving, where 87 makes the same power as 93.

Smurf, I say the same thing to you as I did to df. Let it go brother. Ultimately, it comes down to this. Pundits like Truckzor and jabarooni et al are in their honey moon phase. They bought their first ever nice car and want to shower it with the best, even if its a waste of money. We have all been there, so I can empathize.

The rest of us that have had nice things for a long time and have other nice things and know where to spend money and where not to, we can run 87 as it says in the owner's manual.
You're right, no one "needs" 450hp just like no one "needs" a Raptor. Yet here we are on a forum glorifying the excessive and obscene. If they sold a 550hp V8TT, most of us would have bought that one too even if it required 120 octane laced with gold flakes

If the $12/tank makes a difference to you, then you definitely bought more truck than you need. FYI, nice second-hand Lariats are going for $20k. Just think of all the money you would save.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #150 (permalink)
FRF Addict

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Meanwhile, back in reality, 87 doesn't make the same power as 93. The fact that you don't use it doesn't mean it isn't there. It's basic logic. Those of us who live in the real world are constrained by such things.

Smurf, I say the same thing to you as I did to df. Let it go brother.
Yet you're still posting.

Ultimately, it comes down to this. Pundits like Truckzor and jabarooni et al are in their honey moon phase. They bought their first ever nice car and want to shower it with the best, even if its a waste of money. We have all been there, so I can empathize.
Tell us more about your fantasy land.

No one ever said you couldn't, my friend. We just stated factually that the truck doesn't make as much power on 87. You've been making an ass out of yourself ever since.