GEN 2 Forscan won't connect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, All:

Purchased an OBD Innovations elm 327 USB interface cable, downloaded the Forscan software and obtained the extended license key. Got the cable drivers from the OBD innovations website, d/l and installed those. Still can't connect to the truck. I know the computer 'sees' the cable as when I unplug it from the USB port I get the pop-up window stating 'no ELM found. Please check connection...".

The Forscan Log reads:

11:24:42.840 Connection to adapter has been established: COM3
11:24:42.840 Adapter: ELM327 v1.4
11:24:45.321 Unable to connect to vehicle. Please make sure the ignition is ON and try again.

Under configuration I have:

Interface:
Port: COM3, 500000 kbps
Type: FTDI
Adapter: ELM327 V1.4
Min.delay: 14 ms (good)
Errors: None

This happens regardless of whether the engine is running or it's in full accessory power mode. Yes, I'm plugged in to the OBD port, and I know the port works as my cheap generic OBD reader gets data from it (VIN, monitor status, etc over it's different options).

Computer is running Win10.

I'm reasonably computer savvy but this has me stumped. Anyone else have any trouble with this, and any suggestions? Computer has been shut down and restarted after the downloads and installs, and I tried various combinations of plugging into the truck or computer before/after powering on the truck with no different result.

I haven't registered for any of the Forscan forums yet, so posting here first. Didn't want to get lost in, or take over the other Forscan thread so posting anew here.

Truck is a '17, 802a.

Appreciate any help and suggestions.

OP
OP
zemuron99

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I just wasn't getting a good connection at the OBD-II port. Wiggled the connector around, made sure it was well seated and all is OK now. It (the external connector) goes in pretty deep into the female plug. Check all the comm parameters, make sure Forscan is set to look for a USB port and not a wi-fi connection. If one USB port doesn't work try another. I still have to recheck my connections from time to time, about once every 3-4 hookups I don't connect.