Forscan changes - tweak your truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I understand some are reverting their FORScan back to factory settings before taking their trucks to a dealership.

I don't understand why. How can any dealer have an issue with FORScan changes when they don't impact the vehicle warranty?!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I understand some are reverting their FORScan back to factory settings before taking their trucks to a dealership.

I don't understand why. How can any dealer have an issue with FORScan changes when they don't impact the vehicle warranty?!

let’s hypothesize that your driver’s mirror stops folding, and dealer notices that your passenger mirror folds automatically. mech reports to s/a who calls you.

should they warranty your mirror motor?

maybe a better example. you alter the menu options for access to some features like the heated steering wheel, etc. Head Unit suffers a bad sector or other similar ‘corruption’ type issue. Can the dealer say you mucked it up because you modified it? Maybe.

I’m just advocating for the devil here, not suggesting Forscan is evil or anything, just that some dealers could and would make an issue of it. Realistically, I think it would be a **** move, but I can envision it happening at -some- dealers.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
let’s hypothesize that your driver’s mirror stops folding, and dealer notices that your passenger mirror folds automatically. mech reports to s/a who calls you.

maybe a better example. you alter the menu options for access to some features like the heated steering wheel, etc. Head Unit suffers a bad sector or other similar ‘corruption’ type issue. Can the dealer say you mucked it up because you modified it? Maybe.

I’m just advocating for the devil here, not suggesting Forscan is evil or anything, just that some dealers could and would make an issue of it. Realistically, I think it would be a **** move, but I can envision it happening at -some- dealers.
Smurf, I think our saving grace is that they are factory Ford options and not aftermarket add ons. It would be tough for Ford to fight a case that their own option is reason to deny a warranty claim. I know and realize that most dealer's are ***** and will do most anything in an attempt to deny warranty work. Are you technically modifying the vehicle if the option came on that vehicle from the factory?

Myself, I will Forscan mine as soon as it arrives. I don't have a concern that I will void my warranty. Now an aftermarket tune I will likely pass on. Perhaps if Ford Performance releases one I may consider it.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Considering these are all changes that Ford techs can (and sometimes do) make with their IDS tool, they could not prove that you made the changes. I've seen trucks roll out of the factory with different BCM settings than they were supposed to have through no fault of the owner. I have a buddy who's new Mustang had t he Lincoln splash screen on start up when they unloaded it off the truck. The dealer fixed it. Now because Forscan is simply changing values in a program that already exist and are changes allowed by Ford (depending on the vehicle application), the dealer could not deny the warranty claim. And if they did, Ford would not support them denying it. Denying the warranty claim would not stand up in court (should it go that far) since they can not prove that you made the changes. It's really a non issue. I've had mine in for a few warranty items already and even asked about it when talking to the service manager. He confirmed what I said. They don't care, and even if they did, none of the changes can cause any damage to other parts.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You guys are likely correct in more cases than not. My only real concern is the one percent dealer who is a particular PITA. I do think though that since these are configurable, it’s going to be hard for them to defend a warranty denial, but not impossible.

Using the mirror motor as an example, they could say “we determined that the constant folding and unfolding presented a durability issue more typically seen in non luxury models so we disabled it” Somewhere, someone(s) at Ford corporate made deliberate decisions to use the default options that can be changed by Forscan. Menu items like the heated/cooled seats, yeah, that’s more likely just a crowded screen. I haven’t really dug into all the for scan options though. I need to get off my duff and get tinkering... yeah, I hope I don’t run into the knucklehead dealer... :biggrin:

Turk10mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you guys forget that the dealer gets paid to do warranty work. They make money on servicing your truck. Dealers are ***** we all know that, but they all want to make money. Your mechanic gets paid x number of hours to do a job based on the work. Of he's a good mechanic and he does it in .75 the time he still gets paid for the full amount. How do you think there are mechanics pulling down 100k plus a year.

He isnt going to say shit about your power mirror because he can probably do it in half the allotted time.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are likely correct in more cases than not. My only real concern is the one percent dealer who is a particular PITA. I do think though that since these are configurable, it’s going to be hard for them to defend a warranty denial, but not impossible.

Using the mirror motor as an example, they could say “we determined that the constant folding and unfolding presented a durability issue more typically seen in non luxury models so we disabled it” Somewhere, someone(s) at Ford corporate made deliberate decisions to use the default options that can be changed by Forscan. Menu items like the heated/cooled seats, yeah, that’s more likely just a crowded screen. I haven’t really dug into all the for scan options though. I need to get off my duff and get tinkering... yeah, I hope I don’t run into the knucklehead dealer... :biggrin:

Power folding mirrors can be folded by the user by pressing the button everytime in factory form. If you didn't use Forscan and did it yourself each time, the same amount of wear would occur. They could not deny a warranty claim based on that. You literally could sit in your driveway and press the button over and over until the motor failed and they would have to replace it. It's a non-issue. There are alot of vehicles currently on the market with mirrors that auto fold everytime.

fidds22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless they changed functionality on the 2017s it's as follows:

The autolock feature locks all of the doors after all of the following have occurred:
  • l All the doors are closed.
  • l The ignition is on.
  • l The vehicle is shifted into any gear to put the vehicle in motion.
  • l The vehicle attains a speed greater than 20 km/h (12.4 mph).
The auto lock feature activates again during the same ignition cycle when all of the following have occurred:
  • l The vehicle speed is reduced to less than 15 km/h (9.3 mph).
  • l A door is opened and then closed.
  • l The vehicle attains a speed greater than 20 km/h (12.4 mph).
The autolock feature can be enabled/disabled through the message center

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Auto Relock locks the truck if the unlock button is pressed on the fob but no door is opened in the time span of 45 seconds but 2017 owners say it doesn't work like it does on 2015-2016s.

So can we program it so that when I come to a stop and put the truck in park, it will auto "UNLOCK" my doors, with the engine running. I hate it when I hop out quickly and go to my tailgate, only to have to run back and hit the unlock button. Or has this been covered? I tried searching but came up with nothing. Thanks

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you guys forget that the dealer gets paid to do warranty work. They make money on servicing your truck. Dealers are ***** we all know that, but they all want to make money. Your mechanic gets paid x number of hours to do a job based on the work. Of he's a good mechanic and he does it in .75 the time he still gets paid for the full amount. How do you think there are mechanics pulling down 100k plus a year.

He isnt going to say shit about your power mirror because he can probably do it in half the allotted time.

Warranty work pays far less than a cash ticket.

Livnitup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So can we program it so that when I come to a stop and put the truck in park, it will auto "UNLOCK" my doors, with the engine running. I hate it when I hop out quickly and go to my tailgate, only to have to run back and hit the unlock button. Or has this been covered? I tried searching but came up with nothing. Thanks

You're not alone in wanting to do this but nothing has been found to achieve it.