Ford enables Waze, WiFi, and amazon Alexa for sync 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

CSJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, THIS article seems to state that current Sync will not be able to do internet based Alexa because the hardware is not there.

"The only hitch? The data connection requires hardware that is not fitted to today’s Sync 3 systems, meaning it will be limited to Fords from the 2018 model year forward."

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The article makes it sound like if you have the Waze app on your iPhone, that the app will now show up on the Sync 3 screen, not through Carplay.

I thought I read that Waze and Google Maps were blocked by Apple via Carplay as they wanted to promote their own Maps app?

This seems like a workaround that Ford came up with so that iPhone users can access Waze?

I wish the Sync 3 system would be able to support Carplay & Sync 3 running in tandem. My other car was able to do this, and I could access one or the other by either a short or long press of the microphone button.

I use Carplay mostly to respond to text messages. With the way I'm reading this, I need to exit Carplay and select Waze or vice versa.

I would go test this myself, but I'm in a loaner truck right now without Sync 3.

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love Waze, just waiting for version 3 of Sync 3 for my 2018. Wish there was a published release date.

This was something that wasn't clear from the article. Do we as 2017 and/or 2018 Raptor owners need to wait for an update from Ford before we can make use of this?

Morn

Reaction score
I'm guessing they're adding Waze to the Applink Catalog. But on the catalog app on iPhone I don't see it, and the site appears to be borked at the moment:

https://owner.ford.com/content/ford...c-technology/all/applink/applink-app-catalog/

We'll see if that's it and how well it works. My main thing is being able to switch from Waze to Spotify without interruption. I currently do that directly on my phone. Hopefully this works just as well or better.

Edit:
Confirmed it's for weblink/applink. Waze has been recently updated to support this.

The bad news (for 2017s) - We have to be running Sync v3.0 for this to work. 2018 models have this by default. The rest of us are on 2.3 until they send us the update (by March according the post below).

https://blog.waze.com/2018/01/more-waze-on-your-cars-big-screen-with.html

Last edited: