Ford Bead-Lock capable wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ashton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there is a thread about the color of the rings but here is some info people might not know or understand about a “true bead-locked wheel”
I just found this out, even if you have the bead-lock capable rims from Ford you will need 4 of these from ford performance (https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-1021-F15RB) ($800 list) to lock the bead and then the tire is “DOT off road use only” at that point.
I know everyone is waiting for this wheel but why at this point? Several sets are listed on ebay at this time and are not selling very well. Do an advanced search on ebay and look at sold listing.
I canceled my wheels on January 12 and my truck was built January 27. Truck will be here this month. I liked the looks of the bead-locks rims but they are just looks. They are not “bead-locked” from the factory.
If you want a “true bead-locked off road set” you would need to different sets of rims and tires anyway to be street legal.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
I know there is a thread about the color of the rings but here is some info people might not know or understand about a “true bead-locked wheel”
I just found this out, even if you have the bead-lock capable rims from Ford you will need 4 of these from ford performance (https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-1021-F15RB) ($800 list) to lock the bead and then the tire is “DOT off road use only” at that point.
I know everyone is waiting for this wheel but why at this point? Several sets are listed on ebay at this time and are not selling very well. Do an advanced search on ebay and look at sold listing.
I canceled my wheels on January 12 and my truck was built January 27. Truck will be here this month. I liked the looks of the bead-locks rims but they are just looks. They are not “bead-locked” from the factory.
If you want a “true bead-locked off road set” you would need to different sets of rims and tires anyway to be street legal.
Incorrect. You need the rings for bead lock function. No bead lock wheels are DOT legal for on road use. The factory bead lock capable wheels are just that, capable of being a true bead lock with the addition of the rings. You remove the factory cosmetic ring, break the tire bead and installed the bead lock ring purchased separately. Your factory tires are fine for bead lock. However your rig is no longer street legal.

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
Incorrect. You need the rings for bead lock function. No bead lock wheels are DOT legal for on road use. The factory bead lock capable wheels are just that, capable of being a true bead lock with the addition of the rings. You remove the factory cosmetic ring, break the tire bead and installed the bead lock ring purchased separately. Your factory tires are fine for bead lock. However your rig is no longer street legal.

This is the correct statement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

Ashton

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I stand corrected on the "DOT illegality" of the rim. This is a manufactures warning about not being street legal in the event of a severe accident where the true bead-locked tire is the cause of it.
The Ford wheel is just bead-lock capable and that's it. I.e. Street legal from the manufacturer point of view.

But your missing my point. I thought I was getting a true factory bead-lock rim. That's where I was mistaken. It's bead-lock capable and for another $800 or so you have a true bead-locks.
When you say your "rig is no longer street legal" is that because you would be running a "off road only wheels and tire at that point"?

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
I stand corrected on the "DOT illegality" of the rim. This is a manufactures warning about not being street legal in the event of a severe accident where the true bead-locked tire is the cause of it.

The Ford wheel is just bead-lock capable and that's it. I.e. Street legal from the manufacturer point of view.

But your missing my point. I thought I was getting a true factory bead-lock rim. That's where I was mistaken. It's bead-lock capable and for another $800 or so you have a true bead-locks.

When you say your "rig is no longer street legal" is that because you would be running a "off road only wheels and tire at that point"?

Yes that is what he's saying. And if you want true bead lock wheels hop on methods site pick ones you like and order them from the wheel guy on here. They will be cheaper than the fords wheels anyways BUT they are technically illegal and you might have trouble finding a tire shop that'll mount tires on them. Might have to go to a Mexican shop that deals in cash if you get what I'm saying.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well actually... The Ford wheels are true beadlock rims. Like any beadlock rim you need a ring, and you pay for the ring. I know lots of people who street drive them on, but I'd rather use the cosmetic rim since the wheels are better looking and way better than any method wheel.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bark beetle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The price for the forged wheels is a pretty good deal when compared to aftermarket forged wheels even if they are never used with the real beadlock rings. As stated above, the forged wheels are much stronger than cast which is important when hitting rocks at high speed. There is at least one DOT legal beadlock wheel made by Hutchison Inc. and there are debates about what is and isn't legal with beadlock wheels. I have vehicles with and without beadlocks and if you want drift a lot I strongly recommend them. Rolling a tire off the rim and catching the rim in mud/dirt/sand/etc can result in a violent rollover. The bolts should be checked to ensure they are not getting loose, which can be a pain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad we cleared this up.

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That is false. There a few DOT approved beadlocks. (Hutchinson, BAD). Most are non approved DOT. I have a Jeep JK that has been running ATX Slab true non approved beadlocks everyday for the last 3 years as with many other people that play in the rocks. They require more maintenance than a standard wheel but the offroad capabilities are so much greater. I have drove my JK all over the central and western States without issues. And most people can't tell the difference with so many fake beadlock looking wheels out there. But as far it being "street legal" that's the question. If you have a wreck and its due to a blow out and you hurt/kill someone else you had better hope your beadlocks say DOT approved.
You need to weight the pros and cons before running a true beadlock.