Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]

First scheduled maintenance ... when?

This is a discussion on First scheduled maintenance ... when? within the Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!
Some manufacturers recommend an oil change after the first 1k miles but i was not able to see if this ...

User Tag List

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default First scheduled maintenance ... when?
Some manufacturers recommend an oil change after the first 1k miles but i was not able to see if this was the case with this vehicle. First scheduled maintenance at 10k miles?? I'm not very comfortable with that.

After how many miles have you had your first oil change/maintenance done?

AJ-Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Well it's probably not necessary with newer vehicles, but I always change the oil between 1000 and 1500 miles.

I do it to dump the old mixture of synthetic, to pure mobile one! ( I also purchase my oil at Costco when it's on sale and bring it along to the dealership and just have them use my oil. The only cost to me is about $29 for their oil change service fee... I like to have official paperwork in my log book for future resale��)

After that I go about every 5000 miles for oil changes and then follow the owners manual for all other maintenance requirements. Good luck!

PS... I also purchased the Ford Racing oil filter that's mentioned in another thread as my bring along filter this go round
ChevTillNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Originally Posted by AJ-Raptor View Post
Some manufacturers recommend an oil change after the first 1k miles but i was not able to see if this was the case with this vehicle. First scheduled maintenance at 10k miles?? I'm not very comfortable with that.

After how many miles have you had your first oil change/maintenance done?
Interesting about your 10k number. My first oil change was about 2500mi, but I did not reset the computer for calculating the next oil change. I looked at it yesterday and based on current mileage and % life remaining (or used, I forget), I calculated the projected oil change mileage using simple linear extrapolation. Anyway, it comes out to slightly over 10k. Doesn't seem to square with the manual, and I won't wait that long for the second change.
costnsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by costnsg View Post
Interesting about your 10k number. My first oil change was about 2500mi, but I did not reset the computer for calculating the next oil change. I looked at it yesterday and based on current mileage and % life remaining (or used, I forget), I calculated the projected oil change mileage using simple linear extrapolation. Anyway, it comes out to slightly over 10k. Doesn't seem to square with the manual, and I won't wait that long for the second change.
With normal usage, Ford recommends 10k oil change and tire rotation.
jaz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by jaz13 View Post
With normal usage, Ford recommends 10k oil change and tire rotation.
Well good. I like it when the logic is consistent. I must have misread the manual. For some reason, I thought they were split between 7500 and 5000, depending on condition, towing, etc. But it's been a while since I looked at it.

Thanks for setting it straight. I'll still probably cut that shorter, but that is another question.
cubiefan101 likes this.
costnsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Full Access Member

I changed mine at 10K miles....

shapiroeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
So it appears that there is no special oil change at 1000 miles.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Full Access Member

So it appears that there is no special oil change at 1000 miles.
Ford doesn't recommend anything before 10k miles. In addition, some people sent their oil off to be analyzed and found the initial oil is a different specification than what they recommend for normal oil changes. The initial oil filter is also larger than the standard one. I suspect Ford uses the different oil and larger oil filter during the break-in period. Changing to normal oil and filter too soon might actually be counter productive.
JayZee likes this.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by jaz13 View Post
Ford doesn't recommend anything before 10k miles. In addition, some people sent their oil off to be analyzed and found the initial oil is a different specification than what they recommend for normal oil changes. The initial oil filter is also larger than the standard one. I suspect Ford uses the different oil and larger oil filter during the break-in period. Changing to normal oil and filter too soon might actually be counter productive.
Makes sense. I am just too eager to mash the throttle. I have been babying it for now.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Makes sense. I am just too eager to mash the throttle. I have been babying it for now.
No need to baby it and that can actually lengthen the break-in time. Just avoid towing for the first 1k. You will know when the truck is fully broken in when the fuel milage stabilizes. I gained around 2mpg between the first tank and now.