First road trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blue SCrew built 10/16 delivered 1/18.

Had the truck 2 weeks last Wednesday. Left for first road trip on Thursday morning. Truck had almost 1400 miles when we left for Colorado. Trip was from Lamesa,TX to Pagosa Springs, CO. After 3 days in Pagosa, we drove home with a quick stop in Albuquerque, NM. Here are a few observations and thoughts if anyone is interested.

Fuel mileage impressed me more than anything. I never saw more than low 14's in my 2014. Entire trip showed 24:17 total time. 1253.9 total miles. 17.4 avg. mpg. I know, I know, we don't buy these trucks for mileage, but more is always better and that was averaging 5 mph over the speed limit. 600+ miles on a tank saves me time and stops. I spent the entire trip stopping when and where I wanted to stop, not where I ran low on gas.

I really like the adaptive cruise. Works great in traffic and in the mountains where people don't always drive as fast you would. The auto lane keeping takes some time getting used to. The one time it could save you is worth leaving it on in my opinion. After a couple weeks I'm used to it and not bothered by it like before. I also don't even notice the auto start/stop anymore.

Issues are very few. The rear spring rates are different that the gen1. Driving rough mountain roads, the rear likes to bounce sideways. It is not a real issue but it takes more to control than the previous one. Not sure if this is a result of lighter weight or just more speed. Maybe a combination of both?

On the way home a message came up saying my sensor was blocked and adaptive cruise/collision warning was not available. It went off shortly but don't know what happened or why. Hope its not a recurring problem.

I loved my 2014, but this truck is in a whole different league. I wouldn't go back for all the V8 rumble in the world. More power, better mileage, more tech, what more could I want?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Driving rough mountain roads, the rear likes to bounce sideways. It is not a real issue but it takes more to control than the previous one. Not sure if this is a result of lighter weight or just more speed. Maybe a combination of both?

A skittish rear end is a common complaint with the 15+ aluminum bodied trucks. Lots of guys complain about it with the "regular" F150s. I'm somewhat surprised the Raptor would have the same issues with the larger axle and bigger tires., but I guess that's all unsprung weight. Sprung weight is what would keep the tires planted., and there's just not that much of it with the short aluminum bed.

OP
OP
T

theBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Planning on a camper shell. That and tools, chains, etc that I haven't put in the new truck yet should help with weight. Hopefully keep it planted that much better.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel mileage impressed me more than anything. I never saw more than low 14's in my 2014. Entire trip showed 24:17 total time. 1253.9 total miles. 17.4 avg. mpg. I know, I know, we don't buy these trucks for mileage, but more is always better and that was averaging 5 mph over the speed limit. 600+ miles on a tank saves me time and stops. I spent the entire trip stopping when and where I wanted to stop, not where I ran low on gas.

The 36 gal tank is one of the biggest things that makes me want to own a Raptor or really any F150 over the competition. Seems ridiculous but it's the truth.

I'd also be interested in a Raptor with a lower final drive ratio instead of the 4.10. Or even a diesel Raptor as long as there was decent power.

I hate filling up on road trips, and even around town.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A skittish rear end is a common complaint with the 15+ aluminum bodied trucks. Lots of guys complain about it with the "regular" F150s. I'm somewhat surprised the Raptor would have the same issues with the larger axle and bigger tires., but I guess that's all unsprung weight. Sprung weight is what would keep the tires planted., and there's just not that much of it with the short aluminum bed.

Makes sense. Would be curious to know if a set of progressive leafs would fix this.

OP
OP
T

theBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 36 gal tank is one of the biggest things that makes me want to own a Raptor or really any F150 over the competition. Seems ridiculous but it's the truth.

I have a 2016 Chevrolet 1500 crew(company truck). The thing gets 10-12 mpg no matter what I do and has a 20(usable) gallon gas tank. A 14 foot utility trailer put this thing into single digits. I have to fill it up literally every, single day. I have carried a gas can in the back since it was new because I am afraid I will run out of gas one day. Less than a year old and 20,000 miles and I can't wait until it is time to trade this one off. I would never own one for this reason alone(there are many others too).

foo.c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Chevrolet 1500 crew(company truck). The thing gets 10-12 mpg no matter what I do and has a 20(usable) gallon gas tank. A 14 foot utility trailer put this thing into single digits. I have to fill it up literally every, single day. I have carried a gas can in the back since it was new because I am afraid I will run out of gas one day. Less than a year old and 20,000 miles and I can't wait until it is time to trade this one off. I would never own one for this reason alone(there are many others too).

Do you have the 6.2 or 5.3? I get pretty decent highway mileage with my 5.3 Crew 4x4.

shapiroeric

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'd also be interested in a Raptor with a lower final drive ratio instead of the 4.10. Or even a diesel Raptor as long as there was decent power.

I hate filling up on road trips, and even around town.

Same here....I have a 26 (I think) gallon tank in my Sierra Denali and it's a joke....the fact that GM put that into a truck is ridiculous....always at the pump