First Oil Change & Tips/Tricks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Surely someone will come out with a YouTube Video but did my first oil change and figured I would share. I assume most of you are handy enough to figure it out but this still might save you a few minutes in finding the right size tools, etc.

Tools Needed:
10mm Socket/Wrench - Black Skid Plate for Oil Drain Plug
T-40 Torx Bit - Silver Skid Plate removal for Oil Filter.
I highly suggest a ratchet as the bolts need to turn a lot for removal and this will save you time.

Suggested Oil Type & Quantity:
5W-30
6 Quarts

Oil Filter
Motorcraft - F-500S
Fram - PH10575
STP - S10590
Mobile1 - M1-212

Project Time - 20 minutes largely due to skid plate removal and reinstallation.

Draining Oil:
1. Remove the black skid plate labeled 'Remove for Oil Change' using a 10mm socket or wrench. This is best accessed off the passenger side of the vehicle and can take a little looking to find. It's about 3"x8" or so has 3, 10mm bolts.

2. The drain plug is plastic, yellow and turns about 1/3 turn to the left to release. You do not need a tool to remove the oil drain plug. Be ready the oil comes out faster than most vehicles and due to the height of the truck it will bounce right out of your oil container and all over your floor if you don't plan ahead...ask me how I know:

3. Inspect & Reinstall the drain plug and skid plate.

2wf4fa8.jpg

Replacing Oil Filter:

1. Remove the 5, T-40 Torx Bolts from the silver skid plate at the front of the vehicle.

2. The oil filter is white and is a little ways up there. I had to use a band style wrench to get my filter loose. It was tight from the factory but could maybe be done by hand but it's a little hard to get the leverage up there. The oil will drain through a square hole that is cut out in the skid plate.

3. Install a new filter being sure to make sure the old gasket is still with the old filter and the new filter gasket is lubed with a little engine oil prior to reinstallation.

4. Reinstall the skid plate.

Adding Oil:
My engine took EXACTLY 6 Qts of oil and I suggest a large/long funnel as the location can be hard to get to due to vehicle height and the fact the filler is located behind the air intake assembly.

Check for leaks and reset your oil computer on your dash-board display under 'Engine Information'

Last edited:

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I had that experience with the drain plug and resulting oil geyser, too. What a ******* mess. From now on, I'm going to use a transfer pump to pull as much oil as possible up through the dipstick tube into a reservoir, and only opening the drain plug to get the last of it out.

OP
OP
JetDriver480

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is a gusher for sure... I've been changing oil since 16 years old and worked at an oil change shop and never had a mess like this one.... A deep bucket with large walls might work best... holding it near the drain plug with one hand while turning the drain plug with the other. The oil container I have used forever (pictured) did not work well at all...