First impression towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
1st tow gen 2 and my crawler, @ 7klbs. Having put about 18k miles of towing on my gen 1 with no problems or drama curious of how the gen 2 would fair. First, Def. Softer rear leafs, a lot more sag, didn't get a pic but same trailer, Jeep, placement etc. Performance was good, more power than the 6.2, averaged 13.5 mpg, at 70 mph. Mirrors better, like the lane change warning with the trailer, overall solid feel. Exhaust is also louder with the weight and under load. So great first impression, now to address the sag or leave it alone?

Kowboy17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agree on the softer springs.....much softer. Loaded a 'golden tee' full console game (~400 lbs) on it the other day and it squatted bad. disappointed. I'm going to put on my old RPG frame bump stop kit and go to the 4" bump stops when towing anything ( along with my Blue Ox WDH). Can't believe how much softer they are than the Gen 1 I had.

Autophanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st tow gen 2 and my crawler, @ 7klbs. Having put about 18k miles of towing on my gen 1 with no problems or drama curious of how the gen 2 would fair. First, Def. Softer rear leafs, a lot more sag, didn't get a pic but same trailer, Jeep, placement etc. Performance was good, more power than the 6.2, averaged 13.5 mpg, at 70 mph. Mirrors better, like the lane change warning with the trailer, overall solid feel. Exhaust is also louder with the weight and under load. So great first impression, now to address the sag or leave it alone?

I haven't seen a Gen 2 Raptor in my area for almost 2 months, but yesterday, saw a blue and a silver one. Silver Raptor was pulling an empty open trailer (looked to be a car hauler maybe? maybe 17'?) and it really caught my attention how severely it was sagging in the back. She looked like she was struggling a bit, and that was without a load on board! But, I'm sure, as you mention, plenty of power on tap to pull with authority.

seano04

Reaction score
I towed my boat around last weekend with my new Gen2. Truck seemed to do great, power wise. Definitely noticed the weight different from the Gen 1. Seemed to bounce the truck a bit more but oh well. Boat is about 3,500lbs plus single axle trailer is 800-1000lbs.

I hate the mirrors and thinking about buying tow mirrors but looks like they're > $1,000. Not that I want to make this truck any wider, I'd like to see my trailer better.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed my boat around last weekend with my new Gen2. Truck seemed to do great, power wise. Definitely noticed the weight different from the Gen 1. Seemed to bounce the truck a bit more but oh well. Boat is about 3,500lbs plus single axle trailer is 800-1000lbs.

I hate the mirrors and thinking about buying tow mirrors but looks like they're > $1,000. Not that I want to make this truck any wider, I'd like to see my trailer better.

Hmm my boat sounds a lot like yours. My bro gets his 17 screw in May(nov order msrp-$spray in bedliner) and we tow to the lake on some decent inclines just about every weekend JUL-SEPT. Will test them back to back.

I'm sure the motor is up to the task so does the gen 2 need deavers or expensive bump stop kit?

YAMAHA 242LS loaded with a full day of gear etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk