False overheating engine - Not sure what to do

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

surfnsocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was re-doing my fog light connections today on my 2018 raptor (2500 miles). In order to move a few of the wires, I unplugged 1 of the 2 large plugs (the left one) that are located to the right of the red wires pictured in the attached (BTW- what are these two large plugs/wire harnesses called? I feel like an idiot for not knowing).

cb4ceccb8bc0a7ae848131584e8f72bc.jpg

In the process of re-wiring the fogs (going in to the truck and testing each AUX switch), I accidentally attempted to start instead of turn on accessory power (foot was on the break - force of habit). Obviously the truck did not start, so I went back under the hood and noticed I left the large plug unplugged.

Plugged it back in. Tried to start and now the truck is giving me an engine over heating warning, is in limp mode (rough idle), and shows 261 degrees in red on the gauge (pegged high). Check engine light is on as well.

Coolant is full and there are no leaks. I’ve re-checked to make sure I haven’t inadvertently knocked another plug loose. I tried leaving the truck to sit for several hours. Also tried disconnecting the battery for 10 min. Nothing seems to work.

Questions:

1. Is it safe to drive the vehicle to the dealer (5 miles) or should I get it towed?

2. Is there anything else I should check?

3. The Ford dealer said they wont be able to check it out until Monday. There’s a trustworthy general mechanic less than a mile away I could use. Should I go that route?

4. I have an OBDlink device I purchased for Forscan. Anything I can check/diagnose with using it?

My guess is I somehow fried the engine temp sensor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are the connections to the PCM (computer) and they are what control everything.

Pull the battery terminal connections for longer than 10 minutes. Then put them back on. Should be fine after.

Your truck freaked out because half of the computer sensors were missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
surfnsocal

surfnsocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are the connections to the PCM (computer) and they are what control everything.

Pull the battery terminal connections for 10 minutes. Then put them back on. Should be fine after.

Your truck freaked out because half of the computer sensors were missing. Its all good.

Ah thanks for the info. Makes sense.

However I already tried disconnecting the Hot battery connection for 10 min. Didn’t work.

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe while the battery is disconnected unplug that same pcm connection again. And plug it back up and make sure its snug. Possible its not secure I guess. Highly doubt you fried anything at all.

OP
OP
surfnsocal

surfnsocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe while the battery is disconnected unplug that same pcm connection again. And plug it back up and make sure its snug. Possible its not secure I guess. Highly doubt you fried anything at all.

Alright trying right now. Will report back in 10 min.

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if its throwing any codes? I bet it is throwing a bunch. Do you have a code reader? I havent used ForeScan, but I understand what it is. Can it pull and clear codes? You need to check for codes and if there are any clear them.

OP
OP
surfnsocal

surfnsocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if its throwing any codes? I bet it is throwing a bunch. Do you have a code reader? I havent used ForeScan, but I understand what it is. Can it pull and clear codes? You need to check for codes and if there are any clear them.

Yeah I am able to read and clear codes using the OBD link adaptor and my laptop. I’ll give that a shot as well once I hook the battery back up.

flzrider

Reaction score
Do you have Forscan capabilities? If so, you probably have a ton of stored codes you can clear in there as well. I believe those are more vehicle specific than the generic OBD codes.

OP
OP
surfnsocal

surfnsocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Success!

After re-connecting the battery, I used the Forscan software to clear the engine coolant error code. All is wokring fine!

Thank you!