Erratic oil level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rickoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've wrenched on vehicles for over forty years, have worked as a licensed aircraft mechanic as well as many basic auto service positions in my younger years. Granted, that was about 20 years ago. But this stuff is not new to me.

I just did my second oil change (always with filter). When I did the first change (at 5k miles) I took out around 5 quarts of oil. That's about all I could get out. Drained it from the pan plug as well as tried an oil extractor at the dip stick tube. 5 quarts and that's it. This truck should take six correct? I'm assuming there is always going to be oil left that won't reach drain points, but a quart or more?

This time same experience. (I really should have checked the level before the change, but didn't) 5 quarts out. So I put 4.5 back in, ran the engine for a few minutes, shut it down, and checked with the dipstick. Showed over full.

Hmm... Let it sit for 15 minutes or so, thinking maybe I was dragging oil from the dip tube and getting a false reading. Why is it so damn hard to see an accurate level on this dipstick? I figure I MUST be pulling oil from the dip tube. Tried putting the dipstick in the tube in all directions except upside down.

Anyone have this issue? Or maybe it's just old age.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've found it does vary a bit, but manual says to run it (and by run actually drive) until engine is warm, then let sit for 15 minutes then take the the reading.

Makes it a real PIA considering the dipstick is hard to get to as well.

1BAD454SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think engines with Start and stop have some type of reservoir system to keep oil primed during start -stop operation. Oil may be hiding there

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine just took 6 quarts!!!! Despite all the forum trolls know how, after draining the oil, I start my vehicle and let it run till the oil pressures drops. Then immediately kill it, there's usually about another 1/2 quart that runs out.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Mine just took 6 quarts!!!! Despite all the forum trolls know how, after draining the oil, I start my vehicle and let it run till the oil pressures drops. Then immediately kill it, there's usually about another 1/2 quart that runs out.

That sounds scary!

NewMetaRacing

Reaction score
I know exactly what you are talking about. In my experience some engins have really slow drain back so like someone else said, just give it a few minutes to drain back. As far as holding oil after a change, I haven't had that problem. I dont measure when it comes out most times but I always put 5 back in ( even if the over fills it a little )

MikeEby

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That sounds scary!

I agree! Glad it works for you, I don't think I would try it. Not that important to me to get all the old oil out as long as you change it frequently.

Usually check it with the dip stick prior to changing. My BMW doesn't have one though, so check it on the iDrive, drain, change the filter, fill to manufactures specs. It is a good idea to have the vehicle level, besides that not much too it.

Mike