GEN 2 Engine knock or possible vacuum hub knock???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Westy737

Reaction score
I took my 2018 to the Ford Dealer a little over a week ago with what I thought was a third gear engine knock/pre-ignition at around 5200 to 5300 rpm. The dealer said they did not think it was in the engine because they put the truck in 4 wheel drive and it did not knock. The latest tests have all been centered around a vacuum in the hub assembly. Ford in Detroit has been feeding them the tests to do. No luck finding the fix to the problem yet. Anyone else having this issue or know what it might be? Thanks!

OP
OP
W

Westy737

Reaction score
Can't believe I am the only person with this knocking noise

The Ford Dealership replaced most of the parts dealing with the vacuum hubs. Still not fixed. They keep getting more tests from what sounds like headquarters Detroit. Am I really the only person with this weird knocking noise? I am not convinced it is the vacuum hubs. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this noise? Thanks

mpa90

Reaction score
I had a very small vacuum leak near the passenger side shock tower. Took them several days to locate it because it was so small. Once the dealer replaced the vacuum line, no more knock or grinding noise.

Don't know if it's the same issue as your having but it appears our trucks are very sensitive to vacuum issues.
Good luck!

squeak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think i have the same thing... it's intermittent and seems to normally happen under light throttle and turning. Of course it can never be replicated at the dealer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Monumentins

Reaction score
The Ford Dealership replaced most of the parts dealing with the vacuum hubs. Still not fixed. They keep getting more tests from what sounds like headquarters Detroit. Am I really the only person with this weird knocking noise? I am not convinced it is the vacuum hubs. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this noise? Thanks
I have a 2014 and acts just as youn state. Intermittent, break torque in 2 1200-1500
Rpm. Never happens at the dealer.

OP
OP
W

Westy737

Reaction score
Dealer Still Can't figure out the noise in my 2018

Noise Update-My 2018 Raptor with about 3000 miles has been at the dealer for well over 2 weeks now. Everything imaginable dealing with the Vacuum system for the front hubs has been replaced. This includes the Control Module, Solenoid, Vacuum Lines, Vacuum Pump, and the Hubs. The Ford designated Rep. for this area is working with the dealership to try and figure this out. Ford is convinced that the knocking noise is coming from the vacuum system that locks up the front wheels for 4-wheel drive. If you put the truck in 4-wheel drive, there is no noise. I still think it sounds like engine pre-ignition. Anyone have any ideas or the same problem?

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would think if it was pre-ignition they'd be able to determine that fairly easily because the knock sensors would be pulling a shit ton of timing to help mitigate the issue. In addition, I don't see how a pre-ignition condition would be dependent on 2 vs 4wd. The symptoms IMO don't point to a pre-ignition issue.