Ecoboost Tech Guys, question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HellFish

Reaction score
I'm considering driving my new truck from the dealer in TX back to the NE US. It's about 1500 miles. Any chance this will do anything bad to the engine break in period? Is there a break in period? Will driving 75MPH for 20 ish hours be a problem during break in?

Thanks in advance.

Rapterzz

Reaction score
I just picked mine up from my home in South Carolina and drive it cross country to my other home in Utah. I put 2800 miles on it in 4 days no issues what so ever. I only had 300 miles on it before the trip. It drove like a dream and the range was unreal. I averaged 18.7mpg. The average speed was 75-80mph

OP
OP
HellFish

HellFish

Reaction score
I just picked mine up from my home in South Carolina and drive it cross country to my other home in Utah. I put 2800 miles on it in 4 days no issues what so ever. I only had 300 miles on it before the trip. It drove like a dream and the range was unreal. I averaged 18.7mpg. The average speed was 75-80mph

Cool. Was there any breakin period described in the owners manual?

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As far as I know, Ford doesn't explicitly specify a break in procedure and modern engines really don't need one. The one thing I did on my long drive home was vary the RPMs every hour. Using the paddle shifters you can lock out the top gears and force the engine to run a higher RPM. I'd drop down to 6th, 7th, or 8th for five or ten minutes every hour.

But to be honest, I doubt there is an appreciable difference in power or longevity between an engine that was driven normally from mile zero versus one that employed some kind of break in procedure. Material science and manufacturing tolerances are refined to the point that break in isn't as important as it used to be.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience driving 1200 miles home from Detroit to Dallas was that the truck was flawless. I wouldn't expect that you'll have any problems.

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

But to be honest, I doubt there is an appreciable difference in power or longevity between an engine that was driven normally from mile zero versus one that employed some kind of break in procedure. Material science and manufacturing tolerances are refined to the point that break in isn't as important as it used to be.

I've also heard that even back in the day, break-in procedures were just as much about setting driver habits as they were about actual mechanical break-in. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Mark986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ideally you want to fluctuate RPMs often and not stay in the same gear for long periods at a time. Tricky with a 10 speed though.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I drove 1600 miles back and it was a dream drive. So comfortable and powerful and smooth riding and quiet!

As for break-in - I thought about it on the drive but the road conditions changed often enough (from open freeway to lower speed highway to local roads to twisties, etc.) that it was a non-issue.

If you're doing all freeway coming home perhaps you can change the route to vary the driving speeds and enjoy some scenery changes along the way.

Enjoy the ride - it will be awesome!

OP
OP
HellFish

HellFish

Reaction score
I drove 1600 miles back and it was a dream drive. So comfortable and powerful and smooth riding and quiet!

As for break-in - I thought about it on the drive but the road conditions changed often enough (from open freeway to lower speed highway to local roads to twisties, etc.) that it was a non-issue.

If you're doing all freeway coming home perhaps you can change the route to vary the driving speeds and enjoy some scenery changes along the way.

Enjoy the ride - it will be awesome!

Yeah I had heard arguments on both sides that were mentioned above. If I decide not to drive it won't be because of a break-in.

Thanks all.

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive it like ya stole it for the first 50-100 miles or so- that will really seat the piston rings. Then vary the RPMs as much as possible for the next couple hundred miles- easy to do with the paddles as jaz13 mentioned.