EBOV VTA done right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What is not factual about the weep hole? It works, and is the trusted method of preventing misfires. You may want to do a bit more research for yourself rather than just dismissing it. Funny enough, you go to any other Ford forum, and you will not find any argument against the weep hole.... Actually, they recommend it.

Second, can you find me one single owner that lost a warranty because of the weep hole? Seriously, find me one. Also, you do realize that it is not a 'sanctioned Ford fix' ONLY because it is not in compliance with the EPA, right?

I know you are a smart person - just think this one through rather than throwing darts at it.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

You realize that this is not under vacuum, right? You won't be "sucking" water in in that specific situation.

4a9029fe3ffa30eab047e2fd491adac266dae96f3047559799.jpg

No. I have no idea why you folks IMMEDIATELY think that someone with a differing opinion than yours is automatically Sasquatch whoever.

What are you missing about the weep hole? Still, you have not done your research about why people resort to this on their ecoboost. Ford can't fix the stutter / misfire. Owners were left to figure it out and the weep hole fixed the issue.
You have never said why you don't agree with the weep hole. Sure, it's a boost loss, but very minor based on the testing done.
Warranty - again, find me someone that had warranty denied for this.

Sooo... You have never heard of the ecoboost misfire? The ecoboost stutter / shutter? Ford's many failed attempts (have you seen all the TSBs?) at fixing? Seriously, you say you research the ecoboost and never found anything about it? I know you are stubborn, but you are not that stupid.

The weep hole for ecoboost... Google it and see what you get. A bunch! Have you realized that every f150 forum has advocated for the weep hole? Owners do it and problems go away.

Ford can't do or advise because the oily mix is against the EPA. However, through the various TSBs, it is obvious that Ford acknowledged the water buildup issues in the intercooler. All of their fixes were to make the cooler less effective in an effort to reduce water buildup.

Still, not sure what you are missing, or why you can't cognitively think through this. It really is simple. Go to any other forum and looked at the mega huge threads about the weep hole success. Again, this is for engine misfires... I never said it fixed anything else.

Seriously, you have some issues you want to deal with. Do you even understand your question? It makes zero sense. We know that Ford can not sanction the fix. However, Ford acknowledged that the cooler makes water, and that was what was causing the misfire. You cannot argue that. Ford tried to fix within their means and that didn't work. Owners determined the solution was to get the water out of the cooler pre-spark plug. This is where the weep hole came in. What about any of this are you arguing?

Did you research other sites and read the 'sticky' threads detailing the proof that the weep hole solved the problem? I am guessing you are too arrogant and stupid to look for yourself. I am sorry that your jaded thought process can't think outside the box and try to understand this. I guess you have proven your idiocy by not being open minded and think something through.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
I can tell you’re getting frustrated, but all you have to do is prove what you’re saying with some company letterhead source material.

Anyone can type anything on the internet, you are living proof of that. post up some actual proof that drilling the CAC has some tangible benefit to the 3.5 ecoboost in the 2017+ Raptors. Don’t weasel out with deflections to other internet sites with 2nd hand stories, post up actual source material that you have.

One thing you’ve definitely done is proven you are the same person who was using sasquatch77 here. Not a surprise to anyone, we knew from your first posts. And because you still resist posting up any actual proof. Look, you haven’t convinced anyone here to drill the CAC after years of trying. It’s not only me who is not listening to you, it’s the entire 2017 and 2018 Raptor owner base. All of us.

When you think about it, that’s pretty impressive. You have single handedly managed to coalesce Gen 2 owners in unanimous opposition to drilling the CAC.
WOW.

First of all, this is ALL 3.5 ecoboost, not just f150. Second, your truck has the active shutters in front of the intercooler. Wonder why they are there? They close most of the time to make sure the intercooler is not building water.

Smurfslayer, you are not only proving your stupidity, but you are proving that you are ignorant, closeminded and arrogant. Nobody responds to you because you are a pompous bitch.

I laugh at your stupid witch Hunt and paranoia for whoever Sasquatch is. You will never be satisfied with any proof provided. What this all does prove is that the ecoboost is a problematic mess for owners.

From Full-Race (applies to 2015+ as well):

"In high humidity or rainy environments, the stock intercooler position can lead to condensation water building-up inside the stock cooler.

Upon sudden acceleration and boost, this water can be introduced into the engine, causing a misfire event.

We recommend using a mechanical vent-to-atmosphere BOV (blow-off valve) on the lower charge pipe, after the intercooler. These can help evacuate moisture from the charge air stream before it enters the engine's throttle body.

The 2013+ Ebov may leak boost above 22psi, so we strongly recommend using a mechanical BOV for any high boost setups. "

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
First of all, this is ALL 3.5 ecoboost, not just f150. Second, your truck has the active shutters in front of the intercooler. Wonder why they are there? They close most of the time to make sure the intercooler is not building water.

Smurfslayer, you are not only proving your stupidity, but you are proving that you are ignorant, closeminded and arrogant. Nobody responds to you because you are a pompous bitch.

I laugh at your stupid witch Hunt and paranoia for whoever Sasquatch is. You will never be satisfied with any proof provided. What this all does prove is that the ecoboost is a problematic mess for owners.

From Full-Race (applies to 2015+ as well):

"In high humidity or rainy environments, the stock intercooler position can lead to condensation water building-up inside the stock cooler.

Upon sudden acceleration and boost, this water can be introduced into the engine, causing a misfire event.

We recommend using a mechanical vent-to-atmosphere BOV (blow-off valve) on the lower charge pipe, after the intercooler. These can help evacuate moisture from the charge air stream before it enters the engine's throttle body.

The 2013+ Ebov may leak boost above 22psi, so we strongly recommend using a mechanical BOV for any high boost setups. "

Now, now, we’re just wanting to see actual proof that holing the CAC is a viable fix, advocated or acknowledged by Ford, but not put both because of EPA. You said this, and we just want you to prove it. Ford letterhead documentation would suffice as proof. We have talked about proof before, but every time the topic comes up, you change the subject line. This time, you deflect by not denying or admitting that you are sasquatch77, a fact known by users here, proven by your obsession with the ecoboost and fixation on drilling the CAC and amplified by every time you post about it.

Once again, you don’t have anything the worry about. Moderators told me via PM, you’re not the only user to register multiple accounts here so they won’t kick you out for being sasquatch77. There’s no risk in admitting it now.

you further deflect like a skilled politician, that we will somehow never accept any proof. Not true, I’ve several times indicated the standard - company letterhead documentation.

Millions of ecoboost owners agree: no need to drill holes in the CAC. More importantly -
100% of registered FRF gen2 owners disagree with your recommendation to drill the CAC. Are all the Gen 2 owners here wrong and you’re right or, is the more likely model that all the Gen2 owners here are correct and you’re suffering from a heavy dose of confirmation bias based on internet stories you read and youtube videos?

I am pretty sure I know where the user base stands on this, and it’s not with you. Still, you could change that by offering up actual proof - not internet forum conjecture, that holing CAC is a Ford acknowledged workaround for misfires.

let’s recap:
drilling a hole in the charge air cooler is not proven to be a viable fix or workaround for anything other than creating a boost leak, dumping liquid on the pavement and voiding your warranty in the 2017+ ecoboost.

despite being a pompous, arrogant, closed minded ***** who nobody responds to, you continue to troll me and the gen2 forum with this anti-ecoboost jihad.

the ecoboost is a problematic mess for owners.

see?

I warned moderators the last time you were banned that you could not resist trolling the gen2 forums and that you would back.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
See how stupid your demand is? Of course the weep hole fix won't be Ford sanctioned on Ford letterhead. You are an idiot to not connect the dots there.

Please, explain why all F150 sites have an area devoted to the weep hole and how it fixes the misfire.
Second, please explain to me how to fix the water buildup in the intercooler.

Are you refusing to admit that the intercooler builds water? Did you see that the Federal Government went after Ford for this and thus why you see the myriad of TSBs related to water buildup in the intercooler? This is also why the Gen 2 3.5 ecoboost has active shutters in from of the intercooler. These help, but still not a fix. Heck, even the aftermarket parts people know the engine has problems with this and they built in corrections.

It sounds like you never researched any of this and you are closeminded. Seriously, think it through.

Does the intercooler build water? Yes.
Where does that water go? It gets blen through under boost and blows out spark. Worst case, it has been shown to hydrolock the engine.
How to prevent? Vent to air BOV (but you get the awful swoosh sound). Weep hole. This was proven to be a minor enough boost loss to not matter. All 3.5 ecoboost platforms use this method to prevent misfire. Can you find one warranty denied? Can you find it causing problems? Can you find any performance loss with it. Nope. None. Zero. Zilch.

Please, do your homework. You sound like a stubborn little kid that can't accept other opinions.

I will agree that this fix is completely stupid. No owner should have to do that to make a vehicle perform correctly. This is why I decided not to own an ecoboost. I want a problem free ownership experience and also not have to perform basic maintenance very often. Ford will realize the 3.5 ecoboost mistake soon enough as the Gen 2 ecoboost seems worse than the Gen 1 ecoboost. I can't wait to see what comes next. For now, extremely happy with my non ecoboost family of vehicles:biggrin:

End of the story on this. You cannot disprove the fact that the intercooler builds water. Further, you have no idea what it affects. Lastly, you have no idea how to fix it. Good luck with it!

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Still?

well, at least you admit you can’t provide substantiated proof. Moving on.

Now you’re circling back to the warranty denial issue. this has been dealt with already - asked, and answered. I’ve confirmed with the mechanic at my local dealer - drill the CAC, lose your warranty on affected powertrain parts. What is hard for you to understand about this?

Now suddenly I need to prove the CAC doesn’t accumulate condensation.
Wrong. I’ve never put forward the silly idea that Raptor owners should drill the CAC, I’ve simply stated that you need to substantiate what you are alleging with more than internet rumor and conjecture.

You’ve said this is the end of the story. So, does this mean you will finally stop trolling the gen 2 sub forums here and me? it would be nice.

Take your time in responding, you had more typos and grammatical errors than usual in that last response. It’s frustrating when you have to actually prove what you say, but you haven’t provided any evidence that this alleged CAC condensation build up induced misfire condition even exists in the 2017 and later model year engines;

wasn’t there a 2017.5 model year revision in the engine line up?

whether they are “fixed” to your satisfaction or not, as near as we can see here on FRF, nobody has had a CAC induced misfire condition. There’s been some reported stuttering on accel; see ‘03Darin’s post, but nothing has been traced to the CAC, right? - my bad, you said this was the final word and I don’t want you getting flustered.

Thanks for participating. You get a participation trophy!

OP
OP
R

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow this thread got out of hand.

The active shutters are there for a multitude of reasons to include preventing flow reversal. A too large of a grill opening actually decreases cooling at speed. Especially with a vehicle that has a hood vent. I've tested this on track, in a wind tunnel and in CFD. We actually decrease grill size to increase cooling in time attack cars since the larger opening of most stock bumpers causes a pressure imbalance at track speeds. Large grills are for slow speed, small grills are for high speed or you get flow reversal. And yes it can have an impact on moisture as proven on the focus RS. When adding big intercoolers to the RS we have to block off a portion of the intercooler on street driven cars and remove the plate when on track.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Still?

well, at least you admit you can’t provide substantiated proof. Moving on.

Now you’re circling back to the warranty denial issue. this has been dealt with already - asked, and answered. I’ve confirmed with the mechanic at my local dealer - drill the CAC, lose your warranty on affected powertrain parts. What is hard for you to understand about this?

Now suddenly I need to prove the CAC doesn’t accumulate condensation.
Wrong. I’ve never put forward the silly idea that Raptor owners should drill the CAC, I’ve simply stated that you need to substantiate what you are alleging with more than internet rumor and conjecture.

You’ve said this is the end of the story. So, does this mean you will finally stop trolling the gen 2 sub forums here and me? it would be nice.

Take your time in responding, you had more typos and grammatical errors than usual in that last response. It’s frustrating when you have to actually prove what you say, but you haven’t provided any evidence that this alleged CAC condensation build up induced misfire condition even exists in the 2017 and later model year engines;

wasn’t there a 2017.5 model year revision in the engine line up?

whether they are “fixed” to your satisfaction or not, as near as we can see here on FRF, nobody has had a CAC induced misfire condition. There’s been some reported stuttering on accel; see ‘03Darin’s post, but nothing has been traced to the CAC, right? - my bad, you said this was the final word and I don’t want you getting flustered.

Correct - Ford won't tell you to drill the intercooler, but the owners have been doing it with great results.

Warranty - you never answered my question. Can you find one person with a warranty denied due to a drilled intercooler? You won't find one. This is why people do it...

Also - you have read here that owners ARE finding large amounts of fluid buildup in the intercooler, correct? This is proof the problem still exists. You will find out soon enough.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Now hold on. You said in your previous post that this was the final word.

I know I didn’t misread that.

End of the story on this. You cannot disprove the fact that the intercooler builds water. Further, you have no idea what it affects. Lastly, you have no idea how to fix it. Good luck with it!

Nope, I didn’t think so.

and

This is why zero 2017+ Raptor owners have drilled the CAC.

So is this the final, FINAL word?

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Agree - the lack of critical, outside the box thinking is missing. Nobody has provided proof that the weep hole is detrimental, or provided actual warranty denials. That is because there have been zero denied warranties, and zero detrimental effects from the weep hole. Research it, try it.... You might like it. I can't wrap my head around some here that are so arrogant about this when people have done this for years with success.