Drove in snow/ice for the first time last night

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Per the title, my first drive in the snow/ice... And I don't mean in the Raptor, I mean ever in my 39 years of being on this Earth, it was the first time I was behind the wheel when there's snow/ice on the ground.

Wasn't much, about an inch of snow but there was a layer of ice as well. Temps were in the 20's and it had been raining on and off during the day with pretty thick fog rolling in and out throughout the night.

I used a combination of 4A and Weather mode. Overall the truck behaved very predictably. There were no surprises while accelerating or steering the vehicle. I did put a couple 60lb sand bags in the bed and also have a recovery kit back there with about 30lbs worth of gear. The Toneau cover adds a few more lbs, so probably close to an additional 200lbs of extra weight back there which I think helped keep the rear end planted.

The only part that I wasn't expecting is just how much longer it takes to come to a stop. I slowed down to make a right turn, heard and felt the ABS kick in almost as soon as I tapped on the brakes and completely overshot the turn... Will definatly make a note to apply my brakes at least 3x earlier than I'm used to in the future.

I have a 2016 AWD Eclipse that I want to take up that area under similar condidtions to see how it behaves compared to the Raptor.

Oh, and the RockBlox mud flaps did a great job of keeping most of the slushy stuff off the body.

Last edited:

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah to be honest a light weight AWD car with good tires is going to do a lot better on lightly snow covered streets. The Raptor will of course be able to handle much deeper snow.

Kamil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea be careful out there stopping and turning is the worst. Flooring it and going fast just takes a but longer thats all lol

OP
OP
J

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
thats a lot of prep for snow haha.

Just the pair of sand bags. The recovery kit I always have in there. Probably weren’t necessary but for $3 a pop, might as well.

I took a couple photos none specific to what the RB flaps did. You can just see that there isn’t snow/slush on the body of the truck. There was a small amount that collected under the running boards.

Ironwood

Reaction score
It is a four wheel drive vehicle that weighs nearly three tons. All extra weight does is increase stopping distances. Leave the sand bags out next time.