To drive or to ship? OKC to SF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

omar510

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! My '18 Raptor was born yesterday according to my window sticker. Wanted to get some opinions on what you would do to get her home.

Option 1;
Take 1-3 days of vacation and Fly out to OKC (~$150) and drive back ~1600 miles. Estimating fuel cost around $250. Plus cost of food, lodging, etc.

Option 2;
Ship it back home for anywhere between $.75-$1/a mile. Possibly wait 1-3 weeks for the broker to find a carrier that can pick it up for a decent price.

I'm more willing to take Option 1 if I there are any fun stops on the way home. Otherwise I don't know if the rock chips are worth it. I've already seen Hoover dam and grand canyon. Can you guys make any suggestions of things to see on the way home? I'm willing to add up to 200 miles of detours. I have also thought about effects of long sustained highway driving on break in period. Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 80

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
DRIVE IT!

That's what you bought it for!

I drove mine farther - about 1800 miles home and it was a great, fast, mini-vacation road trip (when was the last time you did a road trip in a 2017 Ford Raptor?).

Just do it

(Re: Rock Chips - find an XPEL dealer in OK and have them protect the front of your Raptor while it's new - that's what I did)

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a whole lotta nada along that route... I did something similar in reverse about 10 years ago (bought a car in Fremont and drove it back to Dallas... broke off of I40 in Amarillo, so most of the route was the same).

That said, you could detour to go through Vegas and/or Death Valley...

ThugHunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outside your house in the FBI Surveillance Van
Take delivery and head North to Colorado. Estes Park is a fun place in the summertime. Matter of fact, that's where my avatar came from. Take Trail Ridge Rd. in Rocky Mountain National Park and stop at the Alpine Visitor Center. Bring a camera and make it a fun trip with your new ride. Take I-70 and I-80 West back home for new scenery.

Last edited:

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here, let me help you...

These are some of the places you can go to on the way home to Liberal Land:

1. Grand Junction, CO - pit stop on the drive
2. Moab, UT - an incredible place; you could spend days there! (wheeling!)
3. Bryce Canyon National Park - 3 hours to stop at about 8 scenic overlooks - definitely worth looking at!
4. Zion National Park - drive through the tunnel - it's another amazing place and a great drive! Great hiking too if you want to get out of the Raptor
5. Las Vegas - I assume you've been there so you can pit stop or keep on going
6. Yosemite - I assume you've been there since you life in the SFBA but if you haven't been there in a while it's a great place

Pick from these and there are others - it all depends on what you want to see and how much time you have. It could be a trip of a lifetime depending on your interests.

Here's a link:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Okl...7f076adff!2m2!1d-122.4194155!2d37.7749295!3e0

Enjoy!

OP
OP
O

omar510

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here, let me help you...

These are some of the places you can go to on the way home to Liberal Land:

1. Grand Junction, CO - pit stop on the drive
2. Moab, UT - an incredible place; you could spend days there! (wheeling!)
3. Bryce Canyon National Park - 3 hours to stop at about 8 scenic overlooks - definitely worth looking at!
4. Zion National Park - drive through the tunnel - it's another amazing place and a great drive! Great hiking too if you want to get out of the Raptor
5. Las Vegas - I assume you've been there so you can pit stop or keep on going
6. Yosemite - I assume you've been there since you life in the SFBA but if you haven't been there in a while it's a great place

Pick from these and there are others - it all depends on what you want to see and how much time you have. It could be a trip of a lifetime depending on your interests.

Here's a link:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Okl...7f076adff!2m2!1d-122.4194155!2d37.7749295!3e0

Enjoy!

Awesome! Thanks. Im definitely interested in the first four stops you got listed. I usually go to Yosemite and vegas once a year.

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

Take delivery and head North to Colorado. Estes Park is a fun place in the summertime. Matter of fact, that's where my avatar came from. Take Trail Ridge Rd. in Rocky Mountain National Park and stop at the Alpine Visitor Center. Bring a camera and make it a fun trip with your new ride. Take I-70 and I-80 West back home for new scenery.

I will look into this. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

There's a whole lotta nada along that route... I did something similar in reverse about 10 years ago (bought a car in Fremont and drove it back to Dallas... broke off of I40 in Amarillo, so most of the route was the same).

That said, you could detour to go through Vegas and/or Death Valley...

What the heck did you buy from Fremont that you can't get in Texas? The cost of everything including cars is so much more here.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the heck did you buy from Fremont that you can't get in Texas? The cost of everything including cars is so much more here.

Aw, hell... y'all are gonna rag my ass... and I deserve it.

A Dodge Neon.

Ya see, what happened was that it was after the Great Telecom Industry Crash, and I was taking work anywhere I could find it... and what I found was a $15/hr job halfway across town. I sold the truck that I was driving at the time ('02 Chevy 1500), and needed something that got good mileage. As it happened, a buddy of mine in CA had bought a Neon R/T new in '99, and was getting ready to sell it so he could go buy a Mazda 3. So, because the Peon (uh, Neon, I mean) was the DOHC model, had a 5 speed, and had some upgraded suspension on it, it wasn't terrible to drive. I struck a deal with my buddy, flew out to CA, and bought the car.

Yeah. So now y'all know my shame.