Drama-free long distance Raptor retrieval story

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, after seeing a number of "I was driving my Raptor home after purchasing it 1000 miles away and it didn't make the trip" threads, I wanted to post one where everything went according to plan; the reason for this is that I don't want the only news available to be bad news. After all, who takes the time to log on to a forum and say, "I drove my truck today, and it was uneventful"?

In any event, I found my MSRP deal via another forum member (thanks, Miker397!) in Wayne, MI. The salesman was Mark Movsesian at Jack Demmer Ford. Had a great experience here... placed the order in November, 2016, and the truck was built March 11, 2017 (no beadlocks or CF interior).

As it happens, I have a high school buddy who lives in Dearborn, about 8 miles from the dealership, and I was able to stay at his place. Flew in on Thursday, March 23, and picked up the truck on Friday morning, March 24 at around 9:00 AM. Hung out for the rest of the day with my buddy, and ran out to Ann Arbor (beautiful area!). On the way back from Ann Arbor, we took my truck "home" to the Rouge assembly plant... it's, uh, not in the best neighborhood, and pretty damned sketchy looking (at least at night). Anyhoo, I left at 7:00 AM Eastern on Saturday, March 25 heading for home (Dallas), with the intent to put in a hard first day so that the second day was nice and easy. Mission accomplished.

Day one was right at 900 miles to the West side of Little Rock, AR. The truck performed flawlessly, and was only turned off at fuel/pit stops (two of them). Adaptive cruise was set at 82 mph nearly the whole time, with occasional journeys up to 90 mph or so as circumstances dictated. I was fighting wind the whole day, either a direct headwind, or a pretty stout crosswind. Advertised MPG per the dash display was right at 14 mpg. I did not hand-calculate the actual mileage, but based on feedback from others, real mileage was probably closer to 13. Day two (today) was significantly shorter at only ~300 miles. Adaptive cruise was set between 82 (Arkansas) and 85 (Texas), again with occasional 90 mph speeds as appropriate for traffic. Lifetime MPG per the dash display crept up to 14.1, as I wasn't fighting wind.

I have yet to play with the drive modes at all, and the highest the tach has been so far is around 4100 or so. I'll certainly be playing with it more in the upcoming days.

In any event, I am REALLY pleased with the truck so far, and have to say that the adaptive cruise created a safer driving experience for me and all those around me... with standard cruise control, I typically get fed up with people getting in my way and having to disable the cruise, I drive manually... which means that when I get pissed off, I end up doing 100 mph, passing people on the shoulder, etc...

(Yes, this is ******* driving, and I am an ******* driver. I am at peace with that.)

In any event, the adaptive cruise meant that I could just hang out, waiting for the slowpokes to get out of my way (with the occasional flash of the high beams if they weren't getting the picture), and letting the truck handle the braking, following distances, and acceleration back up to cruising speed. After 900 miles, I'd ordinarily be ready to shoot someone, but this go 'round, it really wasn't too bad. I can't imagine that I'll buy another new vehicle without adaptive cruise.

tl;dr - I bought a Raptor 1200 miles from home and drove it back with 0 drama or concerns; very happy with my purchase

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In any event, the adaptive cruise meant that I could just hang out, waiting for the slowpokes to get out of my way (with the occasional flash of the high beams if they weren't getting the picture), and letting the truck handle the braking, following distances, and acceleration back up to cruising speed. After 900 miles, I'd ordinarily be ready to shoot someone, but this go 'round, it really wasn't too bad. I can't imagine that I'll buy another new vehicle without adaptive cruise.

Same. Did 1500 miles and it was a piece of cake. Didn't get it on my last new car and I never knew what I was missing.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Good to know we can use these on a long haul trip. I am also an a$$hole driver - though I would characterize it as aggressively defensive. I don’t tailgate, and I make a solid effort to not hold anyone up. I will not ride side by side, in a blind spot nor will I suffer in silence at some left lane hog, with few exceptions - once I got stuck behind a turtle with Pearl Harbor Survivor plates. I admit, I threw a block for the guy and gal until they got over.

I’ve been able to use the adaptive cruise on the capital beltway (495 around DC) and it was kind of neat, dropping to 55 and under as the knuckleheads in priuses and minivans slugged it out for slowest driver award, I get left and the truck jumps right back up to cruising speed! I’m not sure if it’s worth the 2000 dollar package price, but it’s pretty good.

Oh, and I forgot to mention.

Pictures. or it never happened.
:biggrin:

Tim G.

Reaction score
I just drove mine from St.Louis to Ft.Lauderdale friday night-Saturday...
Impressive fuel economy... The dash said anywhere from high 15s to high 16s ... and I was rolling 80-85 unless traffic slowed me...
Its a very quiet, comfortable truck...
This truck now has 4500 miles on it... No issues... Its a loaded Magnetic w bead locks.
The Blind spot alert is a great feature... the collision warning beep and lights actually almost made me crash it... I wonder if I can turn that off...?

Unfortunately that trip has me wanting a different truck... So it'll be for sale, or get traded...

Last edited:

nukemustang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the collision warning beep and lights actually almost made me crash it... I wonder if I can turn that off...?

Yes, it is in one of the menus on the dash display with the two gears icon. You can change whether it alerts you or not and the "sensitivity" so that it doesn't go off every time there is a car in front of you that starts slowing down to make a right turn. Owner's manual (reg f-150 one) in the information displays section doesn't really tell you too much about it.

Monsoon Chopper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted my story of driving it from DFW to PHX and how it saved my life. I feel asleep at the wheel exiting New Mexico into AZ. Went from far right lane into the desert center median doing 80+. Truck performed flawlessly and thanks to the Baja designed suspension, it handled the desert great and got me back on the freeway.

I have no desire to sell my truck and have had it 2 months now. Only issue I have, is I opened the tailgate as the garage was going up. I thought it was already up, so it put a gouge in the tailgate.

Love these trucks and no issues for me!

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Gen1 or Gen2, the Raptor makes a great long distance vehicle.

It's our go to vehicle for most trips vs. a Audi A6 or A5 Cabriolet even when we don't need a truck or weather is perfect for the top being down :)

Rango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only a 600 mile run for me to get home with the new truck. Addaptive cruse really takes the hassle out of highway driving. ;)

Last edited: