Downshifting when coming to a complete stop.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Digger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else's truck doing a funny thing that kind of feels like a hill decent anti roll backward braking thing on a car with a manual tranny when your truck downshifts to 1st gear at a full stop? Mine stalled at a light yesterday and it was saying something on my dash display but I had a huge line of traffic behind me and I quickly restarted and got moving. It just does a lock clunk type of slight movement when it downshifts into 1st gear. Very weird.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else's truck doing a funny thing that kind of feels like a hill decent anti roll backward braking thing on a car with a manual tranny when your truck downshifts to 1st gear at a full stop? Mine stalled at a light yesterday and it was saying something on my dash display but I had a huge line of traffic behind me and I quickly restarted and got moving. It just does a lock clunk type of slight movement when it downshifts into 1st gear. Very weird.

Sorry to hear about your issue. I haven't noticed that issue on my truck, but I did notice that it skips 2nd and 4th gear unless you are hitting the gas really hard. I know this is by design, but the shifts from first to third and third to fifth take longer than the other shifts. I'm assuming this has something to do with skipping gears. I would prefer that the tranny use 2nd and 4th. If there is a way to make this happen, I would love to know about it.

sgsraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sounds like you are referring to the start stop feature...?

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...rt-stop-technology-to-be-standard-across.html

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the start stop feature?

It turns the motor off when you stop to save on fuel. When you take your foot off the brake, the motor will restart automatically. You can turn this feature off by pressing a button high on the center dash.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes sounds like start stop. Remove your foot from the brake and the truck is running ready to go before you hit the gas pedal.

You're dealer didn't go over that when you picked the truck up?

OP
OP
Digger

Digger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also read your manual :)

Thanks for the bitch-slap ya smartass!! :) I've been so damn busy that I 've hardly even driven it. Had it 2 wks today and it's got a whopping 200 miles on it. It's funny because it has to be the start stop feature then because I've been watching the tach and it goes from 500 to 0 at a complete stop which I thought was kinda odd.....:specialed:

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Yes sounds like start stop. Remove your foot from the brake and the truck is running ready to go before you hit the gas pedal.

You're dealer didn't go over that when you picked the truck up?

Negative :crazy:

HUFN8OR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else and it's the damn Auto Start/Stop "Feature" ********. There is currently no way to fully disable this feature. I have quickly developed a new "habit" of getting in the truck, pushing the Start button and then immediately pressing the Auto Start/Stop Disable button (just to the right of the Hazards) high center console every time I get in.

It's a stupid pain in the ass, but I can't stand the Start/Stop. I'm hopeful that the Ford Performance "Tune" that has been hinted at in the forum will be available for purchase before too long and that it will have this feature permanently disabled as part of the tune.

It'd be worth the $300-$500 for the tune just for that to me!

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 AM ----------

That start stop feature is the first thing I disable when I got the truck. The 2nd day!

dtt255, have you found a way of permanently disabling the Auto Start/Stop? Because I've searched high and low and couldn't find a way. Have to hit that damn button each time.