Don't get all butthurt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VegasG17

Reaction score
I'm a current Gen. 1 owner and had all Ford products since I've been driving with the exception of a 2003 Silverado SS (great truck, till it went to shit at 44K). Right now my plan is to place an order for a 2018 on 15 May, my intentions never were to purchase a 2017 as I had a terrible feeling there would be issues.

(Don't want to hear the Gen. 2 superiority complex, save it.)

I've been following this forum and I've got to say I'm a bit alarmed. At the time I began writing this there were 14 threads in the first 3 pages about issues with the trucks. This kills me as a Ford guy and Raptor fan. I look at it this way, while I don't have evidence to support it but this forum makes up a small percentage of Raptor owners in my opinion. I'm sure I could look up total members and total Raptor production but honestly I don't have the time for that. That being said the amount of concerns of owners is alarming. I completely understand that mass produced anything will have flaws or issues
(especially first model year) but in all honestly you Ladies and Gents don't you think that the frequency and severity of the issues being mentioned here alone is high considering the sample size? What about the majority that isn't on this forum?

A lot of the issues being reported are not trivial problems. Transmissions/transfer cases failing, oil leaks, loss of oil pressure, turbo issues, ect (We all know and read them). But also some are reporting QC issues (This particularly disappoints me from Ford), I get it mass production things slip through but going back to the small sample size of this forum, seems high.

Then there is Ford customer service, based on what I am reading many folks are struggling a bit to get the trucks back up. (I've read some great information on dealing with Ford on service matters, Thank you Gents)

So my question to the knowledgeable folks... In your opinion, will the issues/concerns seen with the 17s decrease with the 18s. I know this is open questions but I've seen some great information come across here and I'm interested in hearing some thoughts.

Side note: I raced a 17 and he pushed my shit in real quick till he shut off at 100ish and I blew by him. Needless to say the 17s are wayyyyyyy faster, must have.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Many owners of '17's (including myself) have had ZERO issues.

But as to your question, "So my question to the knowledgeable folks... In your opinion, will the issues/concerns seen with the 17s decrease with the 18s."

The answer is No.
I would expect no difference in issues at all with the 18's. They will be almost identical trucks. It would be silly to think that just because its a model year newer that all the kinks would be worked out.

I would wait until the 19's or 20's if you want the lowest risk of any problem.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a current Gen. 1 owner and had all Ford products since I've been driving

Sorry to hear that. For years and years, Ford's been pushing ************* junkers, and just recently (3-4 years) turned it around with quality products. So I gather you have driven mostly mediocre cars/trucks your entire life. But at least the immediate future looks bright for Ford fans.

In all honestly you Ladies and Gents don't you think that the frequency and severity of the issues being mentioned here alone is high considering the sample size?

Yes. It is fair to say the Gen 2 Raptor isn't a particularly well made truck. But that's why you buy new, and rely on warranty.

So my question to the knowledgeable folks... In your opinion, will the issues/concerns seen with the 17s decrease with the 18s.

Some improvement is likely, but I wouldn't expect a dramatic turnaround in QC from one year to the next.

Side note: I raced a 17 and he pushed my shit in real quick till he shut off at 100ish and I blew by him. Needless to say the 17s are wayyyyyyy faster, must have.

No shit. Less weight, 40 hp and more importantly, 75 ft-lbs at lower rpms makes it a no contest compared to the Gen 1s.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

VegasG17

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. For years and years, Ford's been pushing ************* junkers, and just recently (3-4 years) turned it around with quality products. So I gather you have driven mostly mediocre cars/trucks your entire life. But at least the immediate future looks bright for Ford fans.

I've had no major issues with any of my Ford products. My current Raptor has had no issues in 84K miles.

Yes. It is fair to say the Gen 2 Raptor isn't a particularly well made truck. But that's why you buy new, and rely on warranty.

So basically you dropped $60K+ on something you don't consider "particularly well made"?

Yes, I'm familiar with warranties just never had to use them.

Some improvement is likely, but I wouldn't expect a dramatic turnaround in QC from one year to the next.

Disappointing. I was hoping they would unfuck themselves after the initial production.

No shit. Less weight, 40 hp and more importantly, 75 ft-lbs at lower rpms makes it a no contest compared to the Gen 1s.

Don't forget the extra 4 gears. Engine to engine I'm creating more power than the stock 3.5. I step on my own **** with the 37"s.

Bark beetle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shutdown is at 107mph with a speed limiter. The power is there to go much faster, same with gears and rpm. Not much a concern to me, already fast enough for every situation outside of a long dry lake run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

ManfromSnowyRiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too am concerned. I am considering a 2018, but don't believe they will wring out so many issues. A few, yes. Hopefully some QC supervisors have already been canned, if unions allow it. I am guessing 3-5yrs min given how new some of these components are and how complex. I am NOT coming from a Chevy. I have never bought anything but Japanese and have 215K on my Nissan Titan and it runs like new. (looks like hell though). Never seen a Japanese vehicle just implode at super low mileage, and today 300K with out major issues is the min standard in my book. I realize I have to give up some reliability to go American still, and get more cutting edge truck technology.....But it has to be a reasonable drop in reliability.

shapiroeric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm one of those 2017 with an issue.....shit happens....it got fixed....no big deal and no regrets....

The incidence of issues with 17's is likely the same as any other vehicle out there....every make and model has issues....best of luck with your purchase

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

VegasG17

Reaction score
Shutdown is at 107mph with a speed limiter. The power is there to go much faster, same with gears and rpm. Not much a concern to me, already fast enough for every situation outside of a long dry lake run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Of course there is, no doubt at all.

---------- Post added at 05:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 AM ----------

I'm one of those 2017 with an issue.....shit happens....it got fixed....no big deal and no regrets....

The incidence of issues with 17's is likely the same as any other vehicle out there....every make and model has issues....best of luck with your

What happened with your truck? If you don't mind me asking?