Dilemma regarding hold placed on OEM beadlock capable wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matt33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an order for a 2017 Raptor pending with a local dealer which includes OEM beadlock capable wheels. For the last several days, I've been reading about a shortage of these beadlock wheels. It's worth mentioning that I know and trust my dealer; this is the 5th vehicle I've ordered through this GM. Sure enough, he contacted me today and confirmed that beadlocks are on hold for at least the next 3 months per his Ford rep. The two most obvious options are to switch to the base wheels or I can ride it out and wait for the beadlock wheels to be available again. The dealer is fine with either choice.

I really want the beadlocks, so I 'm leaning toward waiting things out. I saw the beadlocks in person today for the first time, I loved the finish. I also off road a fair amount, so the beadlock capability is something that interests me.

However, the honest truth is that I really dislike the machined finish on the base wheels. That said, I actually loved the dark gray base wheels that were shown on the early auto show 2017 Raptors (pic below). They appear to be the same as the current base wheels, but they had a dark gray finish instead of bright machined spokes.

It occurred to me that it might be possible to order the base wheels and have them powder coated in a dark gray or black finish. Does anyone here have any experience with powder coating wheels? I costs about $500 - $600 here for the full service (tear down, powder coating, re-mounting/balancing). I'd be willing to pay that if the results will be OEM-like in appearance and quality. However, I'm not sure about the powder-coat finish durability or appearance. Also, I worry that the high baking temp might weaken the base cast aluminum wheels (I was told they bake at either 300 or 400 degrees).

I'd appreciate anyone's input. BTW, I do not want aftermarket wheels. Thanks in advance! Here's the look I'm hoping to achieve:
04_2017FordRaptor.gif

Last edited:

baja714

Reaction score
I know its a cheap and non-professional solution, but a buddy of mine used a spray to black out the chrome bumpers and such on his black Titan. Didnt look too bad, plus it comes off if you dont like it with a special soap or whatev he was telling me. I can ask him what it was that he used if you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

just checked. Plastidip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
plastidip is a good and cheap option. You don't have to tape off anything because you can peel off the excess. Its like a sticky rubber. It isn't durable though. Rocks will chip right through it. However, plastidip is great for badges and such.

The Mav

FRF Addict
Reaction score
plastidip is a good and cheap option. You don't have to tape off anything because you can peel off the excess. Its like a sticky rubber. It isn't durable though. Rocks will chip right through it. However, plastidip is great for badges and such.

eh, depends how thick you put it on. Put it thick enough and it will actually absorb some of the impact from rocks and it wont cause any damage.

DROPOUT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Powder coating the stockers would be the option I'd go with if I couldn't get the beadlocks. I'm scheduled for my build next week, and just praying they don't postpone my build date due to the hold on beadlocks.

Lightman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Powder coat in general, sucks. Its stronger than paint but not much..and its worth noting that you cant easily touch up powdercoat (which flakes and chips away). I am currently having issues with the t top of my boat (original owner opted for a powdercoated t top) which is just 3 yrs old.
That said, I dont have a better suggestion.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

SeXualAVENGER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine powder coated on my 2012. Looked good and held up fine. Probably put approx 10k miles on them with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rohardi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the beadlocks and do not like the base machined wheels as well. I plan on waiting it out as I'm in no rush. My current lease isn't up until the end of April.