GEN 2 Decisions Decisions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r4ptr

Reaction score
HELP!!! Decisions Decisions

I have been looking to buy a raptor for a few years now and I think I am ready to sell the corvette and get into a raptor!! Right now I have a modded 2011 vette that I will be selling to purchase the raptor, but before I do I wanted input and feedback from other raptor owners.

1) I think the truck at its base 800A model is exactly what I need and dont necessarily need the additional bells and whistles. What options are/are not worth the money? Im in AZ so want to avoid leather if at all possible. This will be a daily driver and wont see towing unless its a random weekend to bring quads or a boat somewhere.

2) Is there any talks that 2019 will be a better year for the raptor? I ask because I dont want to buy a new truck when the following year something drastic changes. Similar to how the G1 raptor went from a 5.4 to a 6.2 engine.

3) I would also like feedback on driving and having this as a daily driver. I test drove the G1 (will be test driving the G2 soon) and I remember it being wider but wasnt able to drive it through parking lots, make u-turns, drive during rush hour, etc.

PLEASE do not turn this into a pissing match! I just want some helpful feedback and input.

Thank you,

Michael

Last edited:

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everybody will have a different meaning to necessary, but barebones I'd stick with-

If you're looking to off-road with it might I suggest the Torsen differential.

I'd recommend a better sound system than base and also sync 3 over the smaller screen. (I only have sync 2 experience, but I've dealt with the mini-version of both and it is hoenstly infuriating sometimes.) Other than that it turns into a personal preference, what do you want to walk out to daily and use?

Having owned a raptor since 13, at first the size is noticable but it honestly fades quickly and you learn how nimble it actually is. I squeeze into very tight parallel parking spots all the time!

No news on any real updates, I wouldn't bet on a new motor or anything. If anything a release would most likely be 2020 when many auto makers are rolling out new items.

Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

r4ptr

Reaction score
Everybody will have a different meaning to necessary, but barebones I'd stick with-

If you're looking to off-road with it might I suggest the Torsen differential.

I'd recommend a better sound system than base and also sync 3 over the smaller screen. (I only have sync 2 experience, but I've dealt with the mini-version of both and it is hoenstly infuriating sometimes.) Other than that it turns into a personal preference, what do you want to walk out to daily and use?

Having owned a raptor since 13, at first the size is noticable but it honestly fades quickly and you learn how nimble it actually is. I squeeze into very tight parallel parking spots all the time!

No news on any real updates, I wouldn't bet on a new motor or anything. If anything a release would most likely be 2020 when many auto makers are rolling out new items.

Good luck!

I appreciate the feedback!
I wont really do off-roading but I will keep Torsen in mind!!

Looks like Sync3 is only included in the 801A package. Is this something that I should upgrade separately i.e. buy the truck with Sync2 and upgrade to sync3 later? is that even a possibility? Im glad to hear that the size doesnt matter all that much and can still be driven in tight spaces. are you saying the year 2020 or the model year 2020 (which will really be 2019)?

Thank you!!

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback!
I wont really do off-roading but I will keep Torsen in mind!!

Looks like Sync3 is only included in the 801A package. Is this something that I should upgrade separately i.e. buy the truck with Sync2 and upgrade to sync3 later? is that even a possibility? Im glad to hear that the size doesnt matter all that much and can still be driven in tight spaces. are you saying the year 2020 or the model year 2020 (which will really be 2019)?

Thank you!!
You might want to look into the 801A package, it might come with a lot that would be useful!

If you cannot get sync 3 on 800A the only other option is the small screen

And model year 2020 a lot of auto makers are making large changes to their line up

OP
OP
R

r4ptr

Reaction score
You might want to look into the 801A package, it might come with a lot that would be useful!

If you cannot get sync 3 on 800A the only other option is the small screen

And model year 2020 a lot of auto makers are making large changes to their line up

Yea I will have to talk with the dealership and see what they can do. Oh I gotcha, thanks for clarifying. Thank you!!

Big-Foot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd get the 801a for Sync3 and a few other goodies that will help resale value.
Oh yea and I would get the leather interior and then install Carhartt seat covers over them to help with the heat and wear issues - again - this will help your resale value down the road.

Well, that's what I did anyway...

Big-Foot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah - and if you look at the minimal changes between 17-18, that might be an indicator that there won't be anything major for a while anyway...
I seriously doubt that they will ever bring back the V8 in this truck. The boosted V6 has got so much development money and time that it will carry them for probably another 5 years before they have to make any major changes.
I suspect that they will implement a cylinder deactivation feature to cut out 2 of the 6 cylinders while it's loafing along.. From a mleage perspective a it would make sense.