Dealer inventory: Scab vs. Screw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThugHunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outside your house in the FBI Surveillance Van
I had to bring the wife's Explorer to the shop the other day and started talking to our salesman. I had a conversation with him about why dealerships only order Screws. This particular dealer had 8 on their lot and 4 more waiting for arrival. None of which were spoken for and all were Screws. He told me that he made a request to his manager to order a couple Scabs, but it was shot down. I'm interested in hearing from the Screw owners here if they bought a Screw because it was dealer inventory and if they would have purchased a Scab instead if they had that option to choose from on their lot. I understand the roominess of the Screw but it has not more appeal to me than a King Ranch F150 and have no desire to purchase one. My 2011 was a Scab and I also had an 2012 FX4 Screw. The difference was minimal in space. And the doors were only an issue while loading kids in a downpour. I'm curious why so many people prefer the Screw over the aesthetics of the Scab.

BTW, this dealer is still sticking to their 5k over asking price even though we just bought a $52k Explorer Sport from them 3 months ago. And he said that's on special ordered Raptors too.

@DrippinRaptor....who was your salesman at Johnson Sewell? I'll even drop your name for a referral bonus even though I still think you're a questionable character.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ordered the SCREW because it’s what I wanted. I find the extra room pretty significant and the 36 gallon fuel tank is a nice bonus. It also has a higher tow rating (which I’m unlikely to take advantage of) though I would take advantage of the higher payload rating.

All things considered the only advantage I found for the scab was I did like the compact look more, but not enough to sacrifice driving range, cargo room, passenger comfort, payload capacity and resale value. Oh and I also wanted the pano moon roof which isn’t an option on a SCAB

AZ LucaBrasi

Reaction score
I ordered the SCREW because it’s what I wanted. I find the extra room pretty significant and the 36 gallon fuel tank is a nice bonus. It also has a higher tow rating (which I’m unlikely to take advantage of) though I would take advantage of the higher payload rating.

All things considered the only advantage I found for the scab was I did like the compact look more, but not enough to sacrifice driving range, cargo room, passenger comfort, payload capacity and resale value. Oh and I also wanted the pano moon roof which isn’t an option on a SCAB

this!

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did either of y'all see any Scabs on the dealer lots when you were buying?

Scab lives matter!

I ordered my Scab and I've seen 2 others on the road. But I haven't seen any Scabs sitting on the dealer lots around here.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
They make the raptor is something besides a SCREW???

Unicorns !

I’ve never laid eyes on one in person and I agree with previous posters about the size, fuel capacity, etc. That said, if there was one on the lot I’d have looked and entertained the idea.