Deal or No Deal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThugHunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outside your house in the FBI Surveillance Van
I have been in communication with a dealership selling a 2017 Supercab with 802a, Tech Pkg, Tailgate step and spray in bedliner. MSRP on this truck was $61685 invoice was $58205. The truck has a clean carfax, 10,500 miles and is advertised at $56999. I offered 60k OTD and they countered $61145 OTD all over the phone and contingent on me checking out the truck in person. Not too far apart and likely more negotiable in person when they see I'm willing to drive three hours for the deal. I'd spend another 1k on wheels as I'm not a fan of the Acura looking stockers bringing the total to $62145.

I have the time and but my patience is wearing on me to wait for 2019's release. Prices will go up a bit as they always do year after year, but the 2018 model with options MSRP's for $63440 (802a, Carbon Fiber, Beadlocks). I'm assuming another 1k for 2019 price increase, but I wouldn't have to change the wheels on a special ordered truck. So, that brings the total up to around $68,700 OTD with MSRP pricing.

Wait for a 2019 and expect delivery around the end of the year or worse or pursue the 2017 and drive this bitch home on Tuesday?

Hdscreens

Reaction score
No deal. With over 10k miles I’d be offering 58,500 otd max. Already lost 1/3 of warranty

Brutane

Reaction score
I think I’d pass too. You can buy a brand new one in the Midwest where I live for that price.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
with the current deal, I'd pass too.

now, if they want to do YOUR deal and also throw in a Ford-backed extended bumper to bumper warranty, then I might consider it based on if having a raptor for the next 6 months is worth it to you.

OP
OP
ThugHunter

ThugHunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I’d pass too. You can buy a brand new one in the Midwest where I live for that price.

Dealership and salesman name please, I have a lot of free time and will travel to make it happen.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

with the current deal, I'd pass too.

now, if they want to do YOUR deal and also throw in a Ford-backed extended bumper to bumper warranty, then I might consider it based on if having a raptor for the next 6 months is worth it to you.

I've waited a long time already, 9-10 more months isn't gonna kill me but I've never had a bigger itch.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, not a good deal for used. Now, if they threw in an extended warranty that got you bumper to bumper for 100k miles, that would be a win.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Excellent point I didn't even think about as I never buy used.

I’m not up on the used Raptor market, but the truck is optioned close to what you want. I’d make the trip to negotiate in person. if you’re not in a hurry, you’ll make more sound negotiating decisions. That said, it’s a SCAB which is rare by itself and 802a at less than 60k - about 60k OTD. New, you’d be looking at what OTD - I see 63.4k quoted in your post.

Remember if something cosmetic gets changed on the newer truck like wheels, you can add those or go aftermarket.

I think just on the numbers the current truck with 10k miles on it is a little on the spendy side. Still, if you can make the trip, treat it like gathering intel or going to a job interview. You’ll be honing your negotiation skills. If it works out to your advantage, you drive home with a new to you Raptor. If it’s not to your satisfaction, you still drive home and you work on new negotiating skills for the next engagement.

OP
OP
ThugHunter

ThugHunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not up on the used Raptor market, but the truck is optioned close to what you want. I’d make the trip to negotiate in person. if you’re not in a hurry, you’ll make more sound negotiating decisions. That said, it’s a SCAB which is rare by itself and 802a at less than 60k - about 60k OTD. New, you’d be looking at what OTD - I see 63.4k quoted in your post.

Remember if something cosmetic gets changed on the newer truck like wheels, you can add those or go aftermarket.

I think just on the numbers the current truck with 10k miles on it is a little on the spendy side. Still, if you can make the trip, treat it like gathering intel or going to a job interview. You’ll be honing your negotiation skills. If it works out to your advantage, you drive home with a new to you Raptor. If it’s not to your satisfaction, you still drive home and you work on new negotiating skills for the next engagement.

New would likely run around $68700 OTD with the options I want with an estimation due to an unknown price increase on 2019's.

I already mentioned going aftermarket wheels on the used one.

I don't really need to gather intel on making a car deal, this will be car #34 for me since the age of 18. My ex works in the car dealership finance world so I'm well versed on the games. I don't like playing games and spending hours at the dealership, which is why I usually contact the dealer by phone and start negations there. They pretty much told me no go on the 60k OTD, so I'm pretty sure they don't have any room to negotiate lower. Why would they after all when I already said I'd pay 60k? I think it was a fair deal on both sides and we were only $1145 apart. So I called them back and told them the ball is in their court and that's the deal I was sticking to. I also told them I'd drive up there to pick it up on Tuesday if they agree to that OTD price. We'll see what happens. Worse case scenario, I buy the 2019 when order banks open. We all know it's gonna have a 7.0 V8 anyway!