Dash readout on Gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bonedoc3

Reaction score
I have only had my Raptor for 10 days but in the beginning I was able to see a list of descending numbers between 10 and one on the right side of the tachometer that displayed the gear. Now that display is blank. Could I have somehow changed a setting. I've gone through the dash settings and can't find any setting that would display this. Anyone else know what I should do or does it sound like something maybe malfunctioning

Azvipers

Reaction score
I have only had my Raptor for 10 days but in the beginning I was able to see a list of descending numbers between 10 and one on the right side of the tachometer that displayed the gear. Now that display is blank. Could I have somehow changed a setting. I've gone through the dash settings and can't find any setting that would display this. Anyone else know what I should do or does it sound like something maybe malfunctioning

I noticed this as well this morning when I hit the paddle shifter on the left, when I hit the paddle shifter on the right, the numbers started to show with each touch. At no time was in manual.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score

And you posted this at 2 different times today because you didn't like what was said the 1st time?

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f260/dash-readout-gears-58626/

maximus5403

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this. I just noticed this the past few days where it will sometimes disappear then reappear.

Bulldog17

Reaction score
If you hit the right paddle shift once it comes right back. This was talked about previously. I think it's that way for most.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Since no one really gave you an explanation of how your truck works but just how to get the display back to showing the current gear...I'll take a stab at it:

This feature that is active when you see all 10 gears and what gear is currently selected is known as Progressive Range Selection.

Its function is different from Manual drive mode but shares the use of the +/- buttons on the left side of the shifter or the +/- paddle shifters...you can use the +/- controls interchangeably. PRS gives you the ability to lockout gears from the automatic shifting range (but only from high to low, not vice versa).

When PRS is off, the gear indicator display will be blank...and your automatic transmission will have all 10 gears at its disposal. To activate PRS you can press either the + or the - buttons to turn it on. It will initially display all 10 gears...indicating that PRS is active but that you have not locked out any gears. If you press + again, the display will go black again because you will have turned PRS off...by selecting 11...Raptors don't go to 11.

With PRS on and all 10 gears displayed, if you press the - button, you will begin deselecting what gears are available to the automatic transmission. The automatic transmission will still shift as normal, but only up to the highest gear that you have not locked out.

This is different than Manual mode where you have complete control of upshifts and downshifts with the +/- buttons. Note: even in Manual mode the transmission will down shift to keep you from stalling if you are in too high of a gear. It will not upshift to keep you from redlining (although I think it will retard spark or something ??).

The main confusion comes in because most of us who have driven cars with paddle shifters...be they Mercedes or Porsches or even Kias...almost all have sort of a passive manual mode. They allow you at any time while in Automatic Drive mode to utilize the paddles to force a shift...without having to go to manual mode.

With our trucks you can force a downshift when driving a steep grade by locking out the higher gears, including your current gear which will trigger the downshift using PRS. I don't really see any advantage to it over utilizing Manual mode. And in fact...I find the Gen2 really sucks in Manual mode (or PRS mode) compared to the Gen1 in this regard. When descending a mountain pass the Gen1 in Manual mode was awesome at downshifting to save the use of your brakes and control your speed. The Gen2 is terrible!

Take this example: While descending say in 4th gear and you are approaching a turn that you wish to slow even more for, as long as your speed was not excessive for 3rd gear, the Gen1 would happily engage 3rd gear and slow you down. On the Gen2, when you call for the shift to 3rd gear, the truck raises its RPMs before it shifts so that you actually lurch faster and you increase in speed before it finally engages 3rd gear and offers some engine braking. It's not even like you're just in neutral for a second mid-shift, it's that you're actually accelerating! It is really not safe and will cause significant brake wear to descend the mountain passes around here. And it is certainly not relaxing and controlled like almost any other vehicle in Manual mode. <<rant off>> ;-)

Last edited:

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
nice review, bfr!

now be prepared to answer this same question about once a week, because thats how often it appears on here.

too bad Ford doesnt just put a manual in each truck