Damage From Truck Cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PSU_Fred

Reaction score
So I purchased a SnugTop cap and had it installed by the dealer.

When I got the truck home I noticed that the rear window of the cap was not latching easily on the passenger side. It required an extra push to ensure the latch would shut.

A month later I took the truck on an off-road trip. The next day I was cleaning the bed and upon inspection of the cap I noticed two things wrong: The first was the window at the front of the cap was not centered in the frame. The second was that the driver-side sliding window was not moving freely. (The passenger-side window was sliding freely.)

After the weekend, I took the cap back to the cap dealer. The technician identified that the rear latch was not closing properly and made adjustments, and he also loosened screws in the passenger-side sliding window frame to help it slide easier. It was also identified that the cap was made with a pull-out window on the front, rather than the drop-down window I ordered. The replacement window was ordered at that time.

When the new window came in, the cap was removed by the technician and they found damage to the rear corners of the bed where the paint had been worn down to the metal; to the top corners of the truck cab where there was a quarter-sized dent on each side; and to the passenger-side rear corner of the cap where there was a 1 inch crack in the fiberglass.

As of today, the truck has been in the body shop for 8 days. The cap dealer reluctantly agreed to pay for the damages.

My question is: Has anyone see this happen before? Does anyone have a thought on if SnugTop built the top wrong or it was installed incorrectly?

Attachments

• 20180310_091004.JPG
    20180310_091004.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 20180310_091022.JPG
    20180310_091022.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG951790.jpg
    IMG951790.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 92

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
I have had a similar issue with a previous truck. Mine was a fiberglass bed cover that wore the corners just like your photos. Can the cap be moved back any? I was able to adjust the bed cover back about a 1/4" and all was well.

OP
OP
P

PSU_Fred

Reaction score
I have had a similar issue with a previous truck. Mine was a fiberglass bed cover that wore the corners just like your photos. Can the cap be moved back any? I was able to adjust the bed cover back about a 1/4" and all was well.
Good question.
I have since seen a F150 FX4 with the same cap, and there was a gap of about 1/4" between the bed and the cap at the rear. I have no idea if the gap was there when it was originally installed, but I suspect it wasn't. I'll be checking for it when they reinstall the cap, for sure.

vr4henry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to see damage -- I also have a Snugtop (big window version), but had them include the "sportsman package" for reinforcements. I haven't done any major offroading with it but I'll take a look if there's any damage to mine.

OP
OP
P

PSU_Fred

Reaction score
Sorry to see damage -- I also have a Snugtop (big window version), but had them include the "sportsman package" for reinforcements. I haven't done any major offroading with it but I'll take a look if there's any damage to mine.
I didn't get the sportsman package, but I can't help but wonder if it would have helpped.

vr4henry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's some shots of mine -- doesn't look like rubbing. Did yours have the big gasket/spacer thing in there?

Attachments

• IMG_5369.jpg
    IMG_5369.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5367.jpg
    IMG_5367.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5365.jpg
    IMG_5365.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5363.jpg
    IMG_5363.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5362.jpg
    IMG_5362.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
P

PSU_Fred

Reaction score
here's some shots of mine -- doesn't look like rubbing. Did yours have the big gasket/spacer thing in there?
Don't know. I'll check when I get it back.
Body shop is slow, so I still don't have my truck. I'm expecting it back Friday. The cap won't be reinstalled for another week or so.

I really appreciate the pics. I'll use then as reference when I get the cap back on. I believe more now that the installers didn't give the clearance.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Will you be there when they reinstall? Ask for another "install kit" since you will need new gasket material. Plus, you can help to make sure all corners and edges are spaced away appropriately.

OP
OP
P

PSU_Fred

Reaction score
Will you be there when they reinstall? Ask for another "install kit" since you will need new gasket material. Plus, you can help to make sure all corners and edges are spaced away appropriately.

I will be there. Interestingly, they left the install kit in my truck. I will "forget" those at home. Good tip. Now that I know, I'll be in there with a flashlight checking all corners. Thanks.

vr4henry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to a local 4x4 park and did lots of obstacles/flexing/bouncing around and some spirited pothole crashing... mostly low speed <20mph, but I kept checking for movement/damage of the cap. Nothing I could notice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts