Crappy Install or Am I Expecting Too Much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had a local off-road shop install a tonneau cover (Bakflip) and bed rug in my 2018 Raptor a few weeks back along with some lights in the grill and fog lamps. I bought all the stuff they installed from them along with an adjustable drop hitch, so total cost was almost $6,000 installed.

It looked pretty good, but I've noticed a couple things since that I didn't see right away. First thing I noticed was they didn't install the rubber bumpers that protect the back of the cab from the tonneau cover when it is fully open. I ended up having to order them and install myself. Now I've figured out that they also didn't cut out any openings in the bed rug for the lights, light switch, tie-down locations or box link cleats in the bed. Am I being unreasonable or should they have done that as part of the install?

POOPonYOU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call them. They should do the right thing and make sure you’re satisfied. It’s not like you’re being unreasonable. Your list of rug modifications is what anyone else would expect.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Depends on the lights. Cheap chicom stuff- yea you got totally *****. If it's some top end stuff from Baja Designs or Rigid, maybe not too bad. Bakflip isn't cheap, nor is the bedrug. If they can't properly install a Bedrug, I'd hate to see their electrical work! Should have done it yourself.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Depends on the lights. Cheap chicom stuff- yea you got totally *****. If it's some top end stuff from Baja Designs or Rigid, maybe not too bad. Bakflip isn't cheap, nor is the bedrug. If they can't properly install a Bedrug, I'd hate to see their electrical work! Should have done it yourself.

Concur. The degree to which OP was screwed is entirely dependent on the lights.

OP - yes, you should take the truck back and ask for the corrections to be made. You are not being unreasonable at all.

OP
OP
S

sdorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went back and checked the invoice again. Full list of what they did is below, and the total was actually right at $5,200, installed with all taxes, etc.

Bakflip MX4 with 3 year warranty
Bak Box
Bedrug Bedliner
Baja Designs 30" light bar
Rigid Triple Fog light kit
Generic universal rear seat cover (for kids / dog)
Weigh Safe adjustable drop hitch with 4" drop

Also, after getting feedback here I reached out to them and they are going to fix the install on the bedrug on Monday.

BangBang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That list is a little different than a Bakflip, tonneau and some lights.

That's not bad.

OP
OP
S

sdorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That list is a little different than a Bakflip, tonneau and some lights.

That's not bad.

Yeah, I wasn't complaining about the price. I don't think I got a bargain, but their prices were pretty standard from what I had seen elsewhere.