Couple questions on my 2018 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I didn't say stop-start harmed a vehicle's engine. I just said most people are programmed to think it does...so even if the manual says its fine...it may not "feel" fine. I believe the starters on these trucks are rated for 240,000 starts...at least the 2.7L EB with stop-start was, as it was the first truck from Ford with this feature.

For creeping traffic, I cannot think of a more annoying feature.

I would respectfully disagree with your last comment of on-road performance and off-road capability not being compatible and compromises needing to be made. Look at the Range Rover, for example. It handles extremely well on the road...but uses long-travel air suspension to allow for 13" of wheel travel. That's basically on par with our current Raptors. Having owned an LR3 with this same air suspension, the Rover was definitely more "buttoned down" over bumps and during cornering than the pogo-stick Raptor. Yet it would hold its own very well off-road. It would also tow 7716lbs, only 284lbs less than the max towing of a Raptor. It would not sag with that weight thanks to the air springs. Were the shocks capable of withstanding high-speed pounding? Nope. The Rover was more a finesse slow-speed trail machine.

I personally would not want the Raptor with air springs, since they aren't nearly as reliable as the coil / leaf setup we have. But I do think if you want it, you can have on / off road performance.

Sounds like you would be much happier driving a Range Rover.

BTW, can your Range Rover do this?

Last edited:

troverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you would be much happier driving a Range Rover.

BTW, can your Range Rover do this?

Nope - not happier driving a Range Rover. Land Rover has chosen to focus much more now on road performance and speed than off-road capability. The modern Rovers are no longer timelessly styled, and besides...I think buying an American brand is important.

And certainly no, Rovers are not equipped for jumping sand dunes. They'd likely blow an air strut.

Sharkus29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've also experienced the truck lose stability while hitting a sharp bump, particularly while turning. It makes me wonder how this vehicle could be so successful at 'high speed desert running.' That said, my tire pressures from the factory were between 46-48psi. I lowered them to 40 front and 41 rear and already the ride quality and possibly stability has improved. We'll see.

You've obviously never driven the truck off road. Its handling at high speeds off road is amazing. Like a few guys have said, you have to sacrifice a little on road to get the performance you get off road. You cant really compare this truck to a range rover either cause a range rover cant go flying over whoops at a speed even remotely close these trucks can. Sure they're great off road but not in the same way Raptors are built for. The raptor has completely different suspension, longer and a lot softer. Not bashing the Range Rover either, my sister has a 2016 supercharged one and its super fun and super fast.

troverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've obviously never driven the truck off road.

No, I'm a total liar and I made that part up because I hate my new truck.

Actually, you should clarify your statement to say "you've obviously never driven the truck on high-speed desert runs." That would be true. Driving "off road" can come in many forms: rock crawling, sand / desert driving, off-camber trails with rocks and roots, mud-plugging, etc. I'd wager that most folks with Raptors have never driven their truck at 90+ mph Ken Block style in the desert, nor jumped dunes, etc. Most have not even driven remotely near that speed.

I just drove my brand new truck on a little off-road drive last Sunday evening...took it up a snowmobile / fire trail which has several deep water holes, some steep slippery rocky steps, general mud and ruts, and just rough terrain. Truck met or exceeded my expectations.

The comments about the truck being unstable on bumps was in regards to just driving it on paved roads at speed. Hitting a bump hard while cornering results in feeling like the truck wants to abruptly swap ends or move into the other lane just for a moment. A standard F-150 does not do this. That was the only point being made.

Sharkus29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I'm a total liar and I made that part up because I hate my new truck.

Actually, you should clarify your statement to say "you've obviously never driven the truck on high-speed desert runs." That would be true. Driving "off road" can come in many forms: rock crawling, sand / desert driving, off-camber trails with rocks and roots, mud-plugging, etc. I'd wager that most folks with Raptors have never driven their truck at 90+ mph Ken Block style in the desert, nor jumped dunes, etc. Most have not even driven remotely near that speed.

I just drove my brand new truck on a little off-road drive last Sunday evening...took it up a snowmobile / fire trail which has several deep water holes, some steep slippery rocky steps, general mud and ruts, and just rough terrain. Truck met or exceeded my expectations.

The comments about the truck being unstable on bumps was in regards to just driving it on paved roads at speed. Hitting a bump hard while cornering results in feeling like the truck wants to abruptly swap ends or move into the other lane just for a moment. A standard F-150 does not do this. That was the only point being made.

Didn't mean to offend ya man. I agree that on road when you hit bumps the trucks do jump around. That's the trade off for having awesome off road suspension compared to the regular F-150's that are tailored to stay on road I guess

troverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't mean to offend ya man. I agree that on road when you hit bumps the trucks do jump around. That's the trade off for having awesome off road suspension compared to the regular F-150's that are tailored to stay on road I guess

No worries, I'm not offended. I have indeed driven my truck off-road, but I live about 2500 miles from the nearest desert. So off-road driving is going to be different to me than those with access to the desert. Sure looks fun though!

Sharkus29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries, I'm not offended. I have indeed driven my truck off-road, but I live about 2500 miles from the nearest desert. So off-road driving is going to be different to me than those with access to the desert. Sure looks fun though!

I definitely recommend getting out even to a nice open trail where you can open the truck up, you wont regret it!!

troverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start stop more for emissions,bet the starter goes pretty quick also ,always drive in sport mode. Screw the penguins

I don't think the starter will fail any more quickly than it would in a vehicle without Stop-start. Ford specifically installs a higher duty cycle starter, and you'll notice the battery is an AGM battery than can withstand repeated discharges.

Hamm3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the starter will fail any more quickly than it would in a vehicle without Stop-start. Ford specifically installs a higher duty cycle starter, and you'll notice the battery is an AGM battery than can withstand repeated discharges.
Correct.