Couple questions on my 2018 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grkmec

Reaction score
1) Is there way to permanently disable the auto / stop start switch? I really hate the button having to hit the button every time I start up the truck.

2) When driving on highway at say 70mph... and assuming in some kind of gradual turn, and I hit a bump, the suspension gets a little squirrelly. It's like the suspension has too much travel and the weight bounces back and forth creating a destabilized feeling. Prior to getting the Raptor, I drove a 2011 F150 FX4 for 6 years and never experienced this. Is this "normal" for the Raptor due to the offroad suspension? Is there way a to "tighten up" the suspension settings though the computer?

Thanks guys.

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. It's either using software modification Forescan or changing the wiring behind the switch. You can't permanently disable it through the settings. Drive in sport mode.

2. Yes it's normal. It does not have active dampers to adjust the settings.

vr4henry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you're not running 50PSI in rear tires. I like 36-38 cold all around.

If you really want go get rid of the real lightness feeling, the Deaver progressive leaf springs I added seemed to do the trick.

Hamm3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your questions have been answered, so I have nothing constructive to offer.

However, I would like to try and get in your head and understand the thought process behind hating the start-stop so much.

Every time I drive my dad's '17, I have no problems with start-stop.
I barely notice it turns off, it's fired back up before my foot is on the accelerator, and I can appreciate the fuel savings.

What is there to not like about it?

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It looks like most folks have you squared away on the stop/start issue.

On number 2, first as @vr4henry mentioned, be sure to check your tire PSI. If you're still having issues, then suspension upgrades will correct the bounciness of the rear end. Deaver springs are the most cost effective method, but you do have a trade-off in slightly lower towing/hauling. Please let me know if you'd like to go over other options.

25ktrading

Reaction score
Your questions have been answered, so I have nothing constructive to offer.

However, I would like to try and get in your head and understand the thought process behind hating the start-stop so much.

Every time I drive my dad's '17, I have no problems with start-stop.
I barely notice it turns off, it's fired back up before my foot is on the accelerator, and I can appreciate the fuel savings.

What is there to not like about it?

I hate the start stop too. I had my disabled with my tune. When i first got the truck I didn't mind it. Drive it everyday and it gets annoying. Also, I think it's more for emissions than fuel saving? I would guess the savings is negligible.

troverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stop start can be annoying because many times the engine stops just as the light is turning green. It's also programmed into most of our subconciences that repeatedly turning the engine on and off is bad. Another thing that can be annoying about it is when its a very hot day and your A/C shuts off at a traffic light. Finally, there is definitely a slight delay between restarting and taking off. If you like to punch the gas as soon as the light turns green, this would be annoying. I realize Sport mode shuts it off, but Sport mode can be annoying at times to drive in as well.

I've also experienced the truck lose stability while hitting a sharp bump, particularly while turning. It makes me wonder how this vehicle could be so successful at 'high speed desert running.' That said, my tire pressures from the factory were between 46-48psi. I lowered them to 40 front and 41 rear and already the ride quality and possibly stability has improved. We'll see.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Stop start can be annoying because many times the engine stops just as the light is turning green. It's also programmed into most of our subconciences that repeatedly turning the engine on and off is bad. Another thing that can be annoying about it is when its a very hot day and your A/C shuts off at a traffic light. Finally, there is definitely a slight delay between restarting and taking off. If you like to punch the gas as soon as the light turns green, this would be annoying. I realize Sport mode shuts it off, but Sport mode can be annoying at times to drive in as well.

I've also experienced the truck lose stability while hitting a sharp bump, particularly while turning. It makes me wonder how this vehicle could be so successful at 'high speed desert running.' That said, my tire pressures from the factory were between 46-48psi. I lowered them to 40 front and 41 rear and already the ride quality and possibly stability has improved. We'll see.

This is a great video explaining why Stop-Start is not as hard on an engine and starter as most people think. Cliff-Notes version is there is no engine wear restarting a hot engine that is currently bathed in oil. Fuel injection doesn't waste fuel at startup the way old carburetors did. And it is easy to design a starter motor so it is rated for 100s of thousands of cycles.

As for the delayed start, it takes me longer to move my foot from the brake to the gas than it does for the engine to fire up. If I'm anxious to get a quick launch, letting a little pressure off the brake starts the engine up.

I don't love it and I don't hate it.

As for handling around a corner, off-road performance and on-road performance are not compatible and trade-offs have to be made. This truck compromises on-road performance by design with it's higher stance, softer suspension, longer travel, and enormous rubber sidewalls. It will always be one of the most squirly vehicles on the road because of these off-road focused design decisions.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Stop/start is the worst feature on the truck. If I want to drive a vehicle with it, then I'll get in my golf cart.

Disable it. You will not regret it!

troverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a great video explaining why Stop-Start is not as hard on an engine and starter as most people think. Cliff-Notes version is there is no engine wear restarting a hot engine that is currently bathed in oil. Fuel injection doesn't waste fuel at startup the way old carburetors did. And it is easy to design a starter motor so it is rated for 100s of thousands of cycles.

As for the delayed start, it takes me longer to move my foot from the brake to the gas than it does for the engine to fire up. If I'm anxious to get a quick launch, letting a little pressure off the brake starts the engine up.

I don't love it and I don't hate it.

As for handling around a corner, off-road performance and on-road performance are not compatible and trade-offs have to be made. This truck compromises on-road performance by design with it's higher stance, softer suspension, longer travel, and enormous rubber sidewalls. It will always be one of the most squirly vehicles on the road because of these off-road focused design decisions.

I didn't say stop-start harmed a vehicle's engine. I just said most people are programmed to think it does...so even if the manual says its fine...it may not "feel" fine. I believe the starters on these trucks are rated for 240,000 starts...at least the 2.7L EB with stop-start was, as it was the first truck from Ford with this feature.

For creeping traffic, I cannot think of a more annoying feature.

I would respectfully disagree with your last comment of on-road performance and off-road capability not being compatible and compromises needing to be made. Look at the Range Rover, for example. It handles extremely well on the road...but uses long-travel air suspension to allow for 13" of wheel travel. That's basically on par with our current Raptors. Having owned an LR3 with this same air suspension, the Rover was definitely more "buttoned down" over bumps and during cornering than the pogo-stick Raptor. Yet it would hold its own very well off-road. It would also tow 7716lbs, only 284lbs less than the max towing of a Raptor. It would not sag with that weight thanks to the air springs. Were the shocks capable of withstanding high-speed pounding? Nope. The Rover was more a finesse slow-speed trail machine.

I personally would not want the Raptor with air springs, since they aren't nearly as reliable as the coil / leaf setup we have. But I do think if you want it, you can have on / off road performance.